Finishing different materials on 1 pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

I've been experimenting combining segments of acrylics with wood on a single tube. How do you go about putting a finish without distorting the effect of each piece? I typically wet sand and apply plastic polish to my acrylics. How do you keep the wood from getting wet? On the other hand, I don't want to get CA or friction polish on the acrylic pieces. So how do you apply a finish that works for both materials?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
There are many ways to wet sand. You don't necessarily need to use water. I have been very successful with wood and acrylic using oil as the lubricant. You will need to do further research on this I would suggest if you google wood doctors pen finish you will find lots of information about sanding with oil.

gbpens

I have done this type of segmenting. Seal the wood sections with CA and then apply a clear spray finish. Then wetsand. Neither CA nor a clear spray will harm or distort the acrylic.

jttheclockman

Why do you not want to get ca on the acrylic?? I say treat the entire blank as if you would and other wood blanks. Ca the entire blank then wet sand or whatever it is you want to do. You can not treat each individual piece different. Just impossible.

jttheclockman

Never wet sand bare wood though.

That's the rule with water right? Not with other products such as oil or...?

Why would you want to sand bare wood with anything but sandpaper??? You clog the paper up with anything liquid. Automotive paper which is wet dry paper is designed for continued rinsing. Try to get to the point of using your tools to get that fine finish and then CA it or whatever you want to finish with. If you have to sand out tool marks you are not doing a very good job with the tool. I have found there is no better tool than a skew to get you to that fine finish. Believe me when I say that. Practice practice practice.

Unless I am missing what you guys are doing I think you are adding steps that are not needed.

Top Bottom