Finishing Bottle Stoppers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
The top of the bottle stopper unscrews from the metal base, so if you really need to wash teh stopper, you can take the base off...so you shouldn't really have to worry about it contacting moisture...

I use two things - a CA finish, or a spray lacquer, depending on my mood and the shape involved.

airrat

I use sanding sealer and spray lacquer on mine.

As to gluing in, most bottle stoppers come with a detachable bolt. Glue that in and they can still unscrew the stopper to wash. Ruth's if you glue it in you have to glue in the entire stopper. I just make sure my clients know when they wash it to be careful of the stopper finish.

JWW

I coat the stopper with sealer and let it soak for a minute or so and then turn the lathe back on and with the same shop towel that I applied the sealer with I apply pressure as if I were using a friction polish. It builds up heat and dries the sealer. The sealers main purpose is to raise the grain which is why I use the steel wool next to knock it back down and then another coat of sealer applied like the first. I failed to mention that I then use a plain (no compound) buffing wheel to bring out the shine.

I prefer this finish because it's quick, durable and it doesn't give the piece that thick high gloss shine. You think you can almost feel the wood grain but of course you can't. BUT that's just what I prefer.

The bottom line is I like the smell of burning lacquer.

Top Bottom