Finishing Asian Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayseedboy

Hey Yaw'll, (been watchin Paula Dean)

I have a piece of Asian Ebony turned down ready to finish finishing but don't know what to do next. I have sanded down to 12,000 micro mesh, used tripoli and white diamond. Executive Roller Ball.

Since this is my 5 pen I am a bit hesitant to try the ca finish. Is this wood to oily for Myland's?

Thanks!
LR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
It is not too oily for CA or lacquer, which is used here often. I use Asian ebony and Japanese ebonies regularly although I am running out of my Japanese Kokutan/ aka Japanese persimmon. Oily but CA sticks to it well.

Ligget

If you are going to learn CA finishing, use scrap pieces of wood.

Turn them to a cylinder shape then try your method, if it doesnt work out simply sand finish off and start again.

Saves a lot of frustration and maybe ruin a good pen blank or 6 into the bargain.[:D]

R2

Don't forget your final finish sanding should be along the grain.
If you are worried about CA finish do as Mark says__practice 1
If you wish to finish it immediately then I would suggest Shellawax.

Hayseedboy

Thanks Guys,

Went ahead last night and did the Myland's. It looked really cool until I learned that you cannot use second chance brass. I had chiped another piece on the cap end of brass...took it off and rerounded the brass after slightly bending it. This morning when I went to put the cap and pocket clip on it chiped out the ebony. Bummer.

Oh well, dad told me there would be days like this. Saved the pen side as it was just too pretty to trash. Finger I'll try some other wood for the cap. Ideas?

lr

leehljp

Member Liaison
On ebony ends, some people use a sharp razor knife to "cut" the excess CA off flush. I did a few times and created a couple of chips. Then I changed to this method: lay a piece of 400 sandpaper on a flat surface, turn the finished blank on end and sand lightly in circular motions until it is flush. If the ends are not flush, it will more than likely chip. Mine was done with CA. I don't know how Mylands do.

I have wiped down the ebony blanks with acetone before applying the first coat of CA. This is a nature of ebonies. I have done about a dozen since the summer without any chipping, but the main help for me was going to the mandrelless method and finishing without bushing on the blank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom