Finish e-book?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim

Has anyone written an article or ebook or ? on what type of finish does or doesn't work on different woods? Or does everyone just figure this out on their own by trial and error?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougle40

I don't know about any articles but I use nothing but Turners Polish and I have yet to find anything that it DOESN"T work on , form every kind of wood to shell casings .

JimGo

Tim,
If you read through the finishing forum, you'll see that there are a LOT of different opinions on this topic. For example, there was a recent post about BOW, in which some people said never to use friction polish, because the heat causes problems with the wood that leads to cracking. But others said that they always use friction polish on BOW and Pink Ivory (another wood that is supposed to be temperature sensative) and have never had a problem in over 50 BOW pens. Similarly, some say not to use CA on Cocobolo and other oily woods because the oils make it hard for the CA to adhere evenly. I have done a BLO/CA finish on several Cocobolo's now, and have had only one that I wasn't happy with (just sanded it down and tried again, and it worked OK the second time).

The moral of this rather lengthy answer is that trial and error may be the only reliable way to know what works best for you.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Tim, finishing is a very subjective and personal matter... I am not trying to put you off... but you ask 20 members here and you will get 30 finishing techniques... and they will all swear that the one they use is the best... and it is, FOR THEM... and that is what it is all about... we have all in some way or manner developed a system that works for us... some started with a simple friction finish and stayed with it.. some went further and modified it.. same with CA finishes... some stayed with a simple CA system, some went to BLO/CA, some stopped using it completely and went to a totally different finish like Enduro or Poly or Lacquer.
Personally I have 2 different finishes I use depending on the wood and what I am looking to get out of it... Then I have a different system I use on acrylic and another for axis deer that differs from whitetail or mule deer antler.
Do you see where I am going with this... LOL..
I realize that by now you are totally confused and about ready to give it all up. DON'T.. it is not rocket science. Go here http://www.penturners.org/forum/portal.asp?cat=articles and take a look at the articles.. decide what you think might work for you.. then try it and modify it as you see fit for your style...
Good Luck... and keep asking questions, you might spark a new idea...

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Ron, that is a great book for finishing flat work, but it really does not work as a good guide to penturning or lathe finishes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom