Finish Changed purpleheart

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I was putting the finish on an purplehear "Double Dip" pen last night when my thoughts wandered a bit to long . . . somewhere else. The previous Purpleheat came out like this
Oblique_Penholder_Purpleheart.jpg

But on this one, the towel started smoking and I got a ring around the holder where I was holding the towel with the finish to the wood. Except for the ends, I went over and did the whole thing, bit by bit, and "burned it" having it come out like this
DoubleDipper-Purpleheart.jpg

Does that make sense to anyone???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nick

I do not know why oyher than you were holding the towel too long in one spot.
FYI be careful using a towel to apply finish or wax, there is a big chance of the towel getting caught on the mandrel or aomething else and you would not like the result.
consider paper towels in small folded pieces. IMHO.
The second photo produced an interesting finish.

jttheclockman

Heat will change the color of purpleheart to a more purple color but depending on the type of finish it will resort back to the brownish color. Some people have combated that by using a marine varnish which has UV protection. Place the first one in the sunlioght and it too will probably change to a richer more purple color.

Skye

Yeah, I've heard that baking the blanks will bring out the purple. But, it's always a temporary thing...

Be careful, a puzzle buddy of mine has 'cooked' purpleheart to the point of making it looking like ebony, although that's okay if that's what you want:biggrin:

Top Bottom