Finial attachment means for pens/pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris Bar

Trying to select high quality rollerball and pencil makes and models, and having some difficulty finding what I think constitutes good design.
In particular, had selected several items, then looking at the detail breakdown of parts, realized that the finials are plastic parts that are pressed into the barrels. Only pens I have assembled so far have metal finials that hold the clip, metal pressed into metal, so there is no concern about possilbe breakage of this part.
But seems most of the more expensive (sadly though, not necessarily higher quality) pens have plastic finials. Wondered if there is experience is breakage of these plastic parts, particularly in this high stress application. Am I being overly cautious about this?
Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Chris, you raise a good point. Pen kit manufacturers have to consider weight, expense, durability, and other factors when they make kits. A good example is the El Grande kit. I love the kit because it is so light for a big pen. However, the plastic coupler (I think that is the piece) can break during use. You can do a site search on this kit and find plenty of information so I hope we don't reopen the El Grande debate.

One phrase stands out in your post: "high stress application." Not to be frivolous, but consider how well a Porsche would stand up to an afternoon of mudding with a bunch of four wheel drive trucks. If I want a pen to stick in my pants pocket and subject it to abusive use, I likely will choose a Bic. I feel that the pens we make (except for the shop pencils) are more than just tools. They should be used, of course, but not abused. If someone sits on a pen, sticks in in a jeans pocket and sits down, or other abuses, I don't really expect the pen to stand up to such improper use.

Lastly, if you check out some of the name brand high end pens, you likely will see more plastic than metal.

FWIW,

Chris Bar

Gee, started to wonder if I may have made my comment using some long forgotten language since no one had thoughts about it.
Looking at the $20-$50 pens, they almost all have plastic. The high stress application is not in my pants pocket; the high stress point is the juncture between the clip and the clip's ring through which the plastic finial protrudes to secure the clip to the pen.
Since no one had previously commented I will assume no one breaks the clip off the pen, as I just managed to do when I disassembled a pencil. The metal ring broke from the clip so guess the issue with plastic is not limited. That said, guess I can go back to selecting from Berea and Beartooth and be comfy knowing that beauty is indeed only skin deep. And have no intent on opening any closed debates on pens; I was only attempting to find metal instead of plastic....I do not care for plastic...wood, yes but plastic....no. Guess that will close this item. Thanks for your input.

ldb2000

Chris , Which pens are you referring to ? Almost all of the high end pens I know of have Metal Finials and the clips mount to the Metal finial , like the Gentleman , Statesman , the Majestic , the Emperors even the Baron which could be considered a low cost Higher end kit . The only Higher end (they are actually mid level ) pen that use any plastic parts are the Elgrande and clones , and the problems with them has been discussed many times . try this link http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36299&highlight=grande
As for pencils , I can't think of one I would call a High end kit , nor can I think of one that uses plastic for the finial .

Chris Bar

Apparently I set constraints on the search too strict and did not find those pens. After reading numerous posts, had decided that only Ti gold would have the abrasion resistance needed for the gold colored plated parts, and would only want rollerball since it outperformed a ballpoint in actual use. And since I was providing these pens for casual everyday use, a fountain pen was out. And there is only one pencil needed...for the DW who uses a pencil daily and frequently, so a lesser grade will be fine, provided the wood is top shelf. Many thanks for the guidance and suggestions. Your help is really appreciated.
Oh, and Cav, had you not taken time to comment, I would have surely believed that I had forgotten to shower that day and I was too offending...something had to be wrong....perhaps new kid on the block-itis? So thanks. I did not know about the coupling failures...just had not arrived there yet...had id'd the clip as the failure point...did not know the coupling was plastic too, otherwise I might have had heart failure! And your comment about carrying the pen in your pocket...point well made considering the coupling issue.
So now, all I have to do is find out who carries the above Majestic etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom