Finding aluminum flashing...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justin H

I've read multiple times through-out this forum of folks using aluminum flashing purchased at Home Depot to segment with. That, and soda/beer cans. Well, I went to the local HD this past weekend and lo and behold, they don't sell it. Only galvanized flashing. :(

Does anyone have an online source they'd be willing to share? Or am I just looking in the wrong place? I am NOT a "handy" guy by any stretch of the imagination, so not having a clue where to look and a hardware store employee as lost as me could be the problem as well.

If not, I've stashed a few soda cans, just not looking forward to carving them up without carving myself up. :p

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

I'm surprised they didn't have it at your Home Depot, that's usually in stock where I live at all three different stores in my area (but I haven't bought any lately so things may have changed and I'm not aware of it yet.

It's pretty common stuff, try looking at Lowes (if you have one handy) or most major hardware stores and other building supply stores.

You can usually check stock at the online, but I find it is easier to just call around (saves a lot of time driving around and looking). And example -check local stock this way since your store obviously doesn't have it- of what you want: Amerimax Home Products 6 in. x 10 ft. Aluminum Valley Flashing-68306 at The Home Depot

F6maniac

I looked at Home Depot and Lowes a couple of times each before I found the 10' roll. I found it at Home Depot in the rain gutters and flashing section. There were stacks of small maybe 6" x 10" sheets of galvanized and on a lower shelf I found the 10' aluminum roll.

TimS124

Checking online for availability in some of the Home Depot's around Blue Springs, MO shows several stores don't stock that roll flashing...maybe local code pushes something different?

You might be able to order it online and have it shipped to your closet's Home Depot (that's generally free-shipping).

Or, check the roofing department of competitors (ACE Hardware, Lowes, whatever else you have in your area for roofing supplies). Good luck.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Justin:

I am by no means an experienced "segmenter." But... I found Aluminum plating at my local Sears 1/8" x 2" x 12".

I also had previously gotten the Aluminum Gutter sheets at Home Depot: 5" x 7" Aluminum Step Flashing - Amerimax Home Products. #85-068; sku: 49821 85068 5 (10 sheets).

And... Hobby Lobby - K & S Punch Metal .016 copper sheet 5" x 7" (#341 93), $6.99.

Just yesterday I picked up from Tru Value Hardware 1/8" x 3/4" x 48" Aluminum (Stanley Brand - sku: 38613 247030). AND 1" X 1/4" X 48" Aluminum (Stanley Brand - sku - 38613 24723) They were fairly cheap for how much I'll use.

I was working on the Steampunk Pen Exchange and needed the Aluminum for rings to go around pen blanks. Took some time, but worked fine. I used Carbide Tools, and went slow, but cut fine. I actually sandwiched 10 slices (approx) into a 1-1.50" section and cut them all to size together.

Hope this helps! If you have any Q's - PM me, or continue the thread.

Mark

toddlajoie

I found (at Home Depot I believe) packages with several roughly 4x6 inch squares, I believe they use them for flashing around chimneys and such. They are MUCH easier to deal with than the 10 foot rolls that basically REFUSE to ever stop trying to roll back up when you try to use them, and at the same time, refuse to roll up nicely when you want to store them...

The little flat pieces are perfect for what most of us want from them.

Turned Around

I get all of mine from Hobby Lobby or Michael's. They also have aluminum and copper rods and tubes. Most of it is used for making models.

Justin H

Thank you all.

I just wanted to say thank you.

I came back here to check and see if I had any replies... apparently my settings are not right cause I thought I'd get an email if anyone replied. lol

Thank you all again, I will go looking again this week armed with more specific information!

Top Bottom