find

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

Hi,is there a Solvent other then the 2 oz bottle they sell at wood craft its a bit pricey at 9.99,something that works and it is readily availible at most hardware stores..Thanks,, CARL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Solvent for what?

If you are asking about the de-bonder for CA glue, you can buy a gallon of Acetone for about the same price and it does the same thing.

fernhills

Originally posted by RussFairfield

Solvent for what?

If you are asking about the de-bonder for CA glue, you can buy a gallon of Acetone for about the same price and it does the same thing.
Yes,sorry, Debonder,thats it,thanks a lot for info,,Carl

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
After the fact from personal experience, a disposable rubber glove before the fact would have been a lot easier for me. Medium CA also soaks through a paper towel quite fast and it does set HOT. Finger nail polish was slow, but it got the paper towel WAD off my finger. I now have Acetone and rubber gloves. I have peeled rubber occasionally, but reaching into the box is a lot easier than waiting for new skin to grow. That towel is solid. I used clippers to get it small enough to operate. Lesson learned!

200811934427_glue.jpg

toolcrazy

Suggestion. :D Buy Nitril Gloves.

And, ouch that looks painful.

I used latex gloves for a while till the same thing tried to happen to me. I got lucky and got the glove off fast enough. I now use nitril gloves.

CaptG

I cut the fingers off nitrile gloves, including thumb, and just use one on finger holding the paper towel with the c a on it. Gloves last 5 times as long.:D Plus it comes off a lot quicker than the whole glove if needed.[:I][:I]

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by TBone

Nitrile gloves will melt also, but not as fast it seems. You can cut a piece of wax paper and put under the paper towel too.

This is a good thing to know. I was using a box cutter to scrape CA coated fill material off my finger yesterday after pressing it into voids. You can barely see the hint of color today .. but it is there.
I never used anything besides the paper towel and always wondered if there wasn't some way to protect the hands. Now if we could do something about those noxious fumes.

[:X] Mrs.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by CaptG

I cut the fingers off nitrile gloves, including thumb, and just use one on finger holding the paper towel with the c a on it. Gloves last 5 times as long.:D Plus it comes off a lot quicker than the whole glove if needed.[:I][:I]

That's the best idea I've heard in a month! I'm always buying boxes of blue gloves from HF, but it never occurred to be to just cut the fingers off of them! Seems like the only things that ever fail are the index and middle fingers and thumb. Besides, I hate how sweaty my hands get in there.

Good news! I just saved a ton of money on my skin insurance by switching to scissors! heh [:p]

Also, you guys made a good point about the acetone. I have a gallon of it sitting in my shop, and I only use a little at a time, but when I was at the scratch and dent store the other day, I saw good-sized bottles of polish remover in the 'beauty' isle for like a buck, and that stuff is mostly 100% acetone, some of it with some perfume added. The little bottles make it easier to work with, too. I hate lugging out the big metal can to use 10 drops. :)

clthayer

Hey guys and gals, forget buying gloves. Last I checked you get 4-5 of those little plastic baggies for every pen kit you buy. Save them and use them for applying ca.

Christian

Top Bottom