Finally got a CA to turn out perfect...except.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

Last night I did up a cigar in curly maple and got the CA finish perfect for the first time. I was so jazzed at that as I was putting the pen together. I put it all togehter making sure that everything worked smoothly.Once I got it together and was doing my final wipe down and doing a final check of the twist mechanism, I found that the transmission failed (first time for one of those on a cigar). So when I attempted to remove the transmission, the blank got tweaked. Oh well. At least it was a free blank that I got on an order from Arizona Silhouette.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

It's a good idea to wait at least 24 hrs. before assembling a pen with a ca finish. I KNOW it's hard to wait but it'll pay off in fewer failures. Especially the ca lifting when you press in the hardware.

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by ligget

Been there, done that & bought the T-shirt![xx(]

Come on Mark don't you mean designed the T-shirt?:D

Also if you use a buffer the CA seems to shine better after waiting 24 hours.

Mike

Randy_

Originally posted by allenworsham

.....Once I got it together and was doing my final wipe down and doing a final check of the twist mechanism, I found that the transmission failed (first time for one of those on a cigar). So when I attempted to remove the transmission, the blank got tweaked.....

Not exactly sure what you mean by tweaked? On the one cigar pen I have, the transmission is screwed on and is very easy to remove. Now sure why you are having a problem??

allenworsham

Originally posted by Randy_

Originally posted by allenworsham

.....Once I got it together and was doing my final wipe down and doing a final check of the twist mechanism, I found that the transmission failed (first time for one of those on a cigar). So when I attempted to remove the transmission, the blank got tweaked.....

Not exactly sure what you mean by tweaked? On the one cigar pen I have, the transmission is screwed on and is very easy to remove. Now sure why you are having a problem??

The transmission in the cap would turn freely not engaging the cartridge nor unscrew from the body. I had to forcefully pull it apart stipping the threads on the transmission. I tried screwing on the cap to another cigar pen and verified that the threads were still good on the male threads of the body. Since I had another transmission, all I had to do was remove it and then replace it. I removed the finial cap and the clip and used a punch to push it out the top. In the process I scratched up the bottom black bushing on the cap, so I was going to replace that as well since I had one of those too. In the process of trying to remove the cap, I messed up the cap blank as well as the tube. As for the transmission, once I had it out it was obvious that it was defective in that the top (moving portion) and the bottom (fixed portion) seperated and turned freely in both directions and would not engage the cartridge. So bad transmission + clumsy disassembler = messed up cigar.

Top Bottom