Finally found it...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I bought a special anchor tool about 10 years ago to do a project around here. It cost me $75. These days, it goes for $125 or so.
Here's a link to it. Anyway, I bought it, used it once & forgot where I put it. I literally tore this house apart looking for it because I need it again.
I knew I had one & sure didn't want to buy another one, so I've been looking for it literally for months now.

The other day, I'm in my basement getting my pen turning supplies and lathe parts together, so I can start turning pens again.
I go looking thru a box of tailstock centers & there is my anchor tool.

How it got there, I'll never know. But I know where it's going this time.
In my tool chest where it belongs. :biggrin:

Man, I am happy as can be I finally found it !!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
This story reminds me of when I lived in Japan, in the Osaka area. Back in Jan. 1995, there was a 7.1 Earthquake in Kobe. Kobe and Osaka are side by side. Our house had some minor structural damage. It was two years before our house was fixed. I had just ordered about $300.00 worth of router bits from the States. The bits came in a week before the work repair on our house (1997). During the repair, we also had each room repainted and carpet replaced. Major remodel job.

About 6 months went by before life returned to normal and I began to look for my bits and couldn't find them. House, garage, storage shed. No where to be found. Repeat the search over the next couple of years several times.

2002 or 2003, I am in my study reading, I glanced into an open closet door and see on the floor the large box of LP (record) albums that we had from the '60s & 70s. Marked on the side in magic marker, were the Japanese words for "records and tools (dougou)". I was suddenly jolted by the word dougu. What in the world would a dougu be doing in the record album box?

I looked and the smaller router bit boxes were in the record album box.

Scott

When we were remodeling our cabin, I bought a flush-cutting trim saw, a device used by flooring installers to undercut baseboards and kickplates. It has lots of other great uses. Then I put it away, and look as I might, I could not find it again. Then one day about five years later I was getting out a reciprocating saw, and there right next to it was my flush cutting saw! Of course, it has taken itself on vacation again, I haven't seen it in about two years!

Scott.

TomW

My biggest problem is convincing myself that I 'need' something, and searching for the best deal, getting to the 'login to continue purchase', having them not accept my email address as user id, getting mad and checking out as guest...then back to figuring out why my email address was already taken...and realizing I made the EXACT same purchase 3 years earlier....

Magicbob

I always find missing tools after I buy a replacement and go to put it away. Sure enough the first one will be right there where it is supposed to be.

leehljp

Member Liaison
after reading this, now I feel normal again. Can't wait to tell my wife!

I don't tell my wife! :biggrin: But I think she knows it.

For most tools, I have had dual sets, one for the Japan side and one for the USA side. I have two thickness planers, two table saws, 5 routers, three drills, two drill presses. When I came home for good, I brought most all of my tools with me. I still can't find half my hand tools.

My favorite square was a sliding square by LeeValley. Bought it when it was about $10. (now almost $40) I looked and looked for a year for it while I was in Japan and couldn't find it; then the next time I came back to the States, It was at my home here. I don't remember ever brining it back here.

I also had a favorite hammer. Back around 2000 Home Depot offered HD brand hammers with grips for left hand or right hands. I loved using that hammer. When in Japan, I had to climb on the roof to do a small job (2006 or 7). I came down and set it in the gutter. Got down and forgot about it. I hunted for that hammer for almost three years until I went back to check the roof after a typhoon. There it was!

magpens

So ... I tell my wife why I buy 2 of everything ... one to lose and one to use !!!

Top Bottom