Finally finished the cabinet for the Lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GPDMTR25

GPDMTR25

For the longest time I just had the lathe setting on the cabinet body but I finally got around to finishing the drawers. The top box and front of the drawers is made from Cherry wood. Since the top box is solid wood I was able to dovetail the box and half blind dovetail the drawers. The main cabinet is plywood with cherry wood on the drawer fronts. I designed the drawers so the first one holds the sandpaper. I use that the most from the drawers and wanted easy to get at that's why the drawers don't go from small to large. With the top box I added plywood dividers and put the stuff I use all the time.

I'm happy with the results and was glad to be able to do some woodworking again. I'm getting ready for a big event and have been turning and turning pens.

I wasn't going to post this but then I thought someone out there might be looking for ideas for the lathe.

I have the scissors and calipers attached to the side of the lathe with earth magnets. The chisels are in PVC that I screwed into the sides. I just sprayed them brown to look better. They work great. I original had a small wood box on the right side that I used for polish, glue and things but it started filling up with shavings so I took it off when I finished the drawers and put more PVC up. I now keep the glue and things in the drawer on the right.

Thanks
Angela

Attachments

• Picture 034.jpg
    Picture 034.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 343
  • Picture 031.jpg
    Picture 031.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 325
  • Picture 027.jpg
    Picture 027.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Picture 032.jpg
    Picture 032.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 282
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

That is awesome----where do you move the lathe to when you want to use it.
Surely you don't get that fine cabinet all dirty???????????

hilltopper46

That's way too organized for me! I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I couldn't spend over half my time looking for stuff buried under shavings!

Beautiful cabinet and well thought out, Angela.

workinforwood

Wow..I've been out done again. That cabinet is awesome. I wanted to do something like that but I keep getting busy and side tracked. Have to say I'm quite jealous of your lathe cabinet! My little mini is on a rusty metal stand with a piece of old MDF bolted on top.

Gary is right..it's going to get all funked up, or at least it would if it was mine. I suggest putting a piece of plastic on the top. I have a nasty looking trail of plastic yuk behind my lathe and partially on the wall. It comes from wet sanding. The water drives back behind the lathe and slightly up the wall, the water has some micro particles of plastic in it of course and those particles bond together into a disgusting and impossible to wash away mess. It has to be scraped with a chisel!

RAdams

Banned
That looks like a display! Beautiful cabinet. shiny lathe too. I say it's time to break em both in!

mickr

WOW, Angela..great flatwork..beautiful job..very organized..superbly done & thanks for sharing

GPDMTR25

The empty drawer actually is for a piece of plastic that I put on the lathe when I use water micro mesh, CA, or other stuff like that. I've done about 200 pens on that lathe so far. I've had this lathe for less than a year but love it.

Thanks so much for all the nice comments.

Also Workingforwood I've seen some of the scroll saw stuff you have done..Amazing. I'm taking a scroll saw class this weekend.

Angela

Top Bottom