Finally Figured out my Garage Door Opener

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I consider myself to be pretty handy around the house. With the help of the internet I'm able to fix most of my breakdowns. Then came my garage door opener. I installed the opener as my home didn't have one when we moved in, everything was fantastic for 3 years or so. Then I got a new truck and decided to try to program the mirror button in my truck to the garage door. Everything went haywire. The door would open and close intermittently using all of the remotes, but would always work using the hardwired button in the garage. I reprogrammed, scratched my head, then reprogrammed again. This went on for over a year. Well, with the help of a lucky hit on my latest Google search, I finally found the answer. At the same time that I did the first programming of my truck, I also changed the light bulbs in the garage door opener. Unfortunately I decided to use new LED style bulbs. The bulbs apparently put off a signal that interferes with the opener, so whenever the lights were on then the remote wouldn't work, but if the lights were off it would work fine. In hindsight it all makes so much sense now. The moral of the story is to stay away from putting LED bulbs in your garage door opener.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Some photo-electric light sensors do not work with LED light bulbs. I recently purchased a set of sensors to screw into the lightbulb sockets outside the front door of our house. Then I put LED bulbs in. Didn't work! I had to put the coiled fluorescent bulbs back in. It worked. THEN I read the instructions at the end of the writing that it might not work with LEDs.

That caveat should be in bold print at the beginning and on the outside of the package. When looking at the reviews on the sensors, guess what was at the beginning of almost every review - the caveat that it does not work with LED bulbs.

monophoto

It seems that you have an older garage door opener where the challenge is to get it to talk to your truck/car.

Just wait until you get one of the newer models that also talk to your cell phone via the internet. They are good for hours of set-up frustration! DAMHIKT

Brian G

Humble men make money off the real men who don't read instructions until the last resort, after it's all screwed up. :wink:

Top Bottom