Filter - Which one is better for my shop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Elliott

What would recommend for a 66 Square foot shop.

A Shop Type air clearer (The big metal boxest with paper filters) or a home type air filter with the Hepa-Grade filter.

My goal is very clean air, not so much volume, but low particulates.

I have very good dust collection at each of my tools.

Specs:

Shop Cleaner: 540CFM, 98% > 1 Micron Removal, $208 - Replaceable paper filters ($65.00)

Home Cleaner: 120CFM, 99.98 > 0.5 Micron Removal, $180 - Permanent Hepa-Grade filters or Replaceable hepa ($40).

Shop Size: 600 Cubic Feet. (66 Square Feet)

Thanks,
E

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Elliott

Hi,

- The Shop is in the basement.
- I would like the system for both dust and alegery control
- My dust collection goes into a Shopvac, into a fine partical bag, through a hepa filter, and then through a fine micron bag before the air comes back into the shop. I can not exhaust out the room, due to the fact that I work near the furnace and water heater, and don't want to draw the CO into the home.

Note: For anyone working near your gas heating units, never vent your dust collection outside or outside the room, this can create negative pressure and draw the CO fumes back into the home. Very Dangerous. Also always have a CO detector in your shop.

In my opinion.

Thanks,
E

sbell111

I'd go for the shop cleaner and keep an eye out for better filters to fit it. It's going to turn the air over in your shop so much faster than the other one that it will be worth it just based on speed alone.

ctwxlvr

Shop Cleaner: 540CFM, 98% > 1 Micron Removal, $208 - Replaceable paper filters ($65.00)

Is the one I would go with, reason behind it is you are working in a "closed" environment and need a high airflow filter, in a closed environment you need to filter the air 2 to 3 times an hour, to obtain a "clean" environment.

being in a basement is going to be tough to get the result I think your looking for which is keeping the dust from going all over the house. the only ways I know of doing it is a "airlock" door system (two doors with room between to open one when the other is closed) or create a "negative" air pressure with in the room which cant be done in your case due to the furnace and hot water heater being in the room which I am guessing are both gas fired.

n7bsn

Sorry to jump in so late, but

BOTHis my answer, plusa dust mask

I personally have a Delta DC, plus a Delta air-filter, plus a ShopFox Fine(0.3 micron) plus a Trend mask

Together my shop is clean, I don't get dusk settling on everything, I don't get covered in dust and I never (EVER) have dust in my nose or lungs.

All the money you can spend on dust control is a fraction of the money you would have to spend on health issues, if you had to have say somethng like a lung transplant.

Fred

It may cost you a bit, but why not build yourself an add on room someplace in your basement that is away from the potential source of CO2 from your gas fired devices. THEN,in the new area you could vent outside any contaminated air.

Either way it is good to see you interested in your future health. Miniscule particulate matter in our breathing air is dangerous and will ultimately cause medical bills to far exceed any initial cost of proper dust control. Other problems also exist ... like getting fine dust all over the rest of the basement.

Take control of the air in the early stages of your workspace development and avoid the long term problems of health care and clean-up! :D

grb

You may want to check Harbor Freight's 2HP dust collector. There is a site on the internet that has instructions on how to replace the lower bag with a plastic bag for the chips and a really good pleated filter as a replacement on top. I use it in my shop and it really works good for catching all of the fine dust at the tool. Last time I checked the total cost was under $250.

Top Bottom