Filling voids with CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sdivot

Occasionally I get an air bubble when doing clear casting. Can someone tell me the secret to filling these voids when turning? It seems that when I fill a pinhole, it results in a small white spot in the final finished pen. Is there a secret to filling these voids and having them blend in seemlessly?
Thanks,
Steve

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

I have no problem using accelerator, you just need to be aware of how you use it... spraying it directly on a thick coat of CA is bound to get you bubbling. I make sure my coat is (relatively) thin, then squirt a single pump from a foot away while it's still spinning. Basically, I let the accelerator "settle" onto the spinning pen rather than shoot it directly at it. This spreads the "impact area" and gives a light touch... just enough to kick off the reaction without making it go hog wild. After a few seconds (basically by the time I put the accelerator down), I also wipe back and forth quickly with a dry towel to make sure there's no accelerator left when the next coat goes on. By the time I get my towel ready for the next coat, it's dry.

But that's with CA, and it sounds like divot's issue is with casting (PR, et. al.). If you can see the bubble before sanding, it's large (from a relative size standpoint). With those, you must cut down to the bubble and fill with CA... thin for tiny bubbles, medium for larger bubbles (this is the time to be careful with that accelerator as too much will just give you more bubbles in the medium CA).

If it's little white spots you're seeing while sanding, you're filling in pits with CA sanding slurry. Sometimes you can get rid of the white with a quick swipe of acetone, alcohol, etc., but you'll need to continue sanding anyway to get rid of the pit, so it's not really the best solution. If you give the pen a quick swipe with a coat of thin CA, the CA will mix with the sanding slurry and make it invisible again. I prefer to let that coat dry naturally (no accelerator) for two reasons: 1) I don't want to chance bubbles again, and 2) It gives me time to reflect on the mistake I made that created the bubbles in the first place. ;)

If the CA coat does not get rid of the white bubbles, their buried beneath the surface, so you'll need to sand/cut more to get down to their level.

sbell111

It occurs to me that the best solution to this problem is to eliminate the bubbles, not figure out how to fill them. Are you casting under pressure?

Jim Burr

Banned
They can and will show up. Best bet is to use med CA...sawdust obviously won't work. One opinion would be to fill each hole, from about 18-24"...couple quick shots of accelerator. Roll the spindle to the next and repeat. Do not!! soak the tiny pin hole with more than 1/2 a second of accelerator. This works...it's proven...just do it right and you're good.

plantman

I have found that if I use thin or medium CA and apply accelerator, it will usualy bubble, fume, smoke, and turn white. If I use thick or gap filling CA it does not. Often when I finish a pen or have to build up a surface I may apply as many as 30 coats of thick CA one after another with accelerator applyed every 4th coat. After the last spray, I can sand, turn, or file immediately with no problems. You results may be different from brand to brand, or if your products are made by different manufactures. I agree with Steve !! Figure out what is going wrong in the first place. Usualy I only cast in small numbers, 6-10 blanks, and I use an ultrasonic jewerly cleaner and hot water to remove any bubbles introduced when mixing the two part solution together. Seems to work well for me, and I don't have a pressure pot. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom