Filler help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaRed

This isn't really a finishing question but I wasn't sure where to put it. I have scroll sawed out a design in a blank. I want to fill it with turquoise inlace and a liquid. I don't want to use CA since the work time is to short. Do I just use epoxy or is there something else someone would recommend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

You can mix the filler with epoxy , just don't add too much filler or you may mess up the cure of the epoxy and make sure to let the epoxy cure for at 24 hours before (or more , is better) you turn it . The epoxy may be a little softer then the wood or acrylic so take light cuts .
I have done it with both , layers of CA and the filled epoxy way and both work . You could also get a jar of clear inlace or use some PR and post cure it .

Last edited:

CaRed

I have never done this and I don't want to ruin otherwise good work by filling the space incorrectly. So I just have one more question.

Do you put a layer of the inlace and then drizzle the thin CA over the top or do you mix a slurry of inlace and CA then dump in the opening. I just don't want the slurry to set before I get it in the opening.

Thanks again for the help.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Chris,

Put in a thin layer of the inlace and then saturate with thing CA. Keep doing this until you fill the space.

Two things:

1. In my opinion do NOT use accelerator.
2. Cut a groove in a piece of scrap wood about the same size and shape and practice on it.

FWIW,

KenV

I am not as big a fan of CA as some here -- it can develop haze over time and is brittle as it ages. Casting epoxy or the inlace resin are better bets for the long run. The Inlace people have tested the filler with the resin they package with it -

Note that you do note need to use expensive filler much beyond the finished surface of the turned opject- You can use most anything over that to help provide a consistent turning surface -- as in coffee grounds and either CA or epoxy (I find the coffee from Kcups is nice and fine and works well as filler after drinking the coffee and drying the coffed grounds on a tray.

Top Bottom