Fill in imperfections?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from StephenM

StephenM

Hi,
I recently became the proud owner of a 300 year old white oak that came down in a storm. 5'-6" diameter and a LOT of wood. Here is the first test pen I made:

0zdh51
XwsnWdhKzv_vL9KWU68OS3VrKLK-FeaiCSXv6Wxs1kKY0heIaOjdaFgmrcCS9F-6bVb3jlD0UapMEBjXPJWxqVHu5cWxKW3fBu4ggGFsTwP6-5e0bH_cxg9F2Fqa_8anb5skKJcgVzxfHngDjaHqgDFpZw82uPaDoWr3c7MW3qj56wh_q9hUpiQb0CCvj5ghIcfK2IIgTUWjDdgGjBzfCJeXhde82B730UmD-5WGh73QKu1aI_DsYpyD0HnK_dVAUP19fwFS6uSHzcInIza2G_gQ_Hh6uBbZORfYr8VnyN9XyA174qwLSou3-QgGX1abeM5voSrkCGiL8bRC62BpMy1kZ91Vfiry7DbxjfarSHLbUZKhGb4rzpqi8SjA7TQ9eNoxPovgpqnM0OtHIj_6hT3gRLOlLVArTSfu0s2W3RZcM1g15ARpQJPbdpWhgHG2XLNhz3RMZjhdS8DSGEbwg0JmRYkyG8_4W_l-YijiJ5Ya6t7iL480Ek3a5NRk-BGGxLb7NClIn1Y_h5yA-7X5VDPE8UEYJkmYitECH-Ykri32eq79ezK9StcfbopWYmuKlhbHedqo0k198ZzICVoXkAixX_8w8NW5PL_Tn8kvIK0ZZFkSNQ=w1741-h980-no

The blanks all have small holes in them and when the pen is turned, there are still some small ruts and "gouges" left. I filled most of the ones on this pen with CA and sawdust but some are still quite evident.

Any other ideas on what to fill them with?
(Bad mobile pic, etc. etc. :))

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Would you think of making a feature of the gouges and fill them with finely crushed turquoise stone ? I would think you should do that with the the blank still a little oversize and then turn the last little bit off.

StephenM

Would you think of making a feature of the gouges and fill them with finely crushed turquoise stone ? I would think you should do that with the the blank still a little oversize and then turn the last little bit off.

I'm not sure how that would go over here in St. Louis. We're a quiet little Midwest City - might be a little too Southwest for around here. Though I could do a few just to see reactions. Do you know where to get turquoise and malachite?
I was also going to try some black epoxy like I do with my live edge tables.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Stephen,

I don't see a pic. Obviously, Mal did. Don't know why, but that may be why you are not getting comments.

Browser=Firefox

qquake

I like the imperfections. They give the pen character. Wood isn't perfect, and I like a wood pen that looks like wood. But on the other hand, I've seen wood blanks filled with metallic powder that looked really sharp.

Curly

If those holes are from the larva of powder post beetles or similar you might want to make sure they aren't still active in the log. You don't want them working their way through your stash, shop, and home.

StephenM

If those holes are from the larva of powder post beetles or similar you might want to make sure they aren't still active in the log. You don't want them working their way through your stash, shop, and home.

I don't think they're bugs - they seem to be part of the grain/structure. And I don't think any of them would have survived the microwave drying. :biggrin:

Here's a picture of the blanks. I can't imagine I would have just happened to have cut exactly where there were grub trails and if there were that many, why it didn't just crumble.

This is taken from one of the older parts of the trunk (1770ish)

20160925_1353091-e1474830142559.jpg

Curly

Those are definitely bug holes. Yes any live ones or the eggs would be killed with the nuker, however the wood scrap you got cutting out the blanks along with any of the wood you are storing may harbor the wee beasties. Generally they need moist wood to live in, hence the reason antique furniture legs having old infestations when they sat on a dirt floor in a shed or barn. Look at the log to see if there are signs of bug poop at entry holes or surfaces below them. They look like little sawdust piles.

As for hole fill. Your spice cupboard has lots of coloured powders that you can match or contrast the wood you are filling. Curry, chili, mustard powders etc., cocoa and favorite of most, coffee grounds, all work.

magpens

Check with your favorite pen kit supplier. . I have seen turquoise and malachite on some websites recently, but can't remember which ones.
Colored epoxy is also a possibility.

Do you know where to get turquoise and malachite?
I was also going to try some black epoxy like I do with my live edge tables.

Top Bottom