Fifth Chapter Meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I wanted to make sure we put this out there for everyone, so plans can be made. Our next Chapter meeting will be December 19th at the Roswell Woodcraft. Judging from the hands that went up in the air at the Fourth meeting, we will definitely have a very good pen swap, so if you plan on attending, please plan on being in the pen swap!

We tentatively have Ben coming in for the demo on "mostly kitless" pens and designs, so if you have been looking to do some "custom" stuff for some kits, Ben is your guy!

Any other ideas, or volunteering for demos, please PM me or place it here, we would love to get some folks up in front of the group to do demos! I know you are tired of hearing me flap my gums....LOL.....

mick

Robert this date looks good for me as our last show of the year will be on the 12th. Looking forward to getting back over to Woodcraft.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Mick, we cannot wait to see you again! You have inspired quite a few of us with your demonstration, and we have seen some really great PR stuff at the meetings. We are very appreciative of the time you took with us, and we are happy to hear that you will be able to come to the next meeting!

Besides, SRB has been passing off some of your ideas as his own...LOL...

Steve Busey

Besides, SRB has been passing off some of your ideas as his own...LOL...

Wait, what are you implying?

Mick.jpg Celtic Knot Blank small.jpg

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
LOL....due to lack of evidence, I will have to retract my accusation....

I love this group! I have enjoyed getting everything together so we can meet and talk about pens, but I gotta tell you guys, its the friendships and the people that make this thing all worth while. You guys put smiles on my face frequently by posting stuff here!

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Better yet I think my cousin Guido can make the next meeting with me :cool:

AHHHH....nothing like an Italian Christmas Party.....LOL......

Great Wine

Stockings full of nickels....

Great Italian Pasta

Brass Knuckles.......

AHHH the Holidays....LOL.....

Steve Busey

LOL....due to lack of evidence, I will have to retract my accusation....

Shhhhh - just between you and me, Robert, I've entered the Witless Protection Program and changed my IAP screen name, so Mick & Guido can't hunt me down over that unfortunate pen incident. Shhhhh....

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
LOL...maybe you can move into the same block as me...Just ask for the guy that wont talk about a 360 Herringbone, and thats me...LOL....just kidding.....

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Russell

I have not proposed a theme per se, but if folks would like to have a holiday theme, that would be great, but not required.

Robert

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
MorganGrafixx

Plenty of room, and just for you, no handling fees! Come on out and join us, and bring some of your work so we can take a look at it. If you feel like you have a good pen to put in the swap, please bring one of those as well.

Robert

Steve Busey

Hey folks,

In order to get the word out for the December meeting, you could add the meeting notice to your signature! It even shows up on your old messages all over the forum.

Hope to see everyone there!

tstagl

For us newbies that would like to join the meeting on Dec 19th, can you explain the pen swap. Is this just a random "I like your pen, would you like one of mine? Is it an organized activity? Do people bring one pen or several pens for the swap? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never been involved in a pen swap before but it sounds like it could be fun and informative.

Also, what all goes on in these meetings. I understand it will be from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. Again, never been to one and I'm curious. Looking forward to it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Steve Busey

For us newbies that would like to join the meeting on Dec 19th, can you explain the pen swap. Is this just a random "I like your pen, would you like one of mine? Is it an organized activity? Do people bring one pen or several pens for the swap?

Calling it an "organized" activity is being generous. :biggrin: It's completely optional. If you'd like to put a pen in the pot, your name will go in the hat, and then they'll draw names. We'd love to see you!

papaturner

Hans, The meeting starts around 10 am and goes to about 4pm. Hope to see you there.

Of course us old folk gets there a bit earlier. :biggrin:Woodcraft opens at 9am.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
For us newbies that would like to join the meeting on Dec 19th, can you explain the pen swap. Is this just a random "I like your pen, would you like one of mine? Is it an organized activity? Do people bring one pen or several pens for the swap? Sorry for all the questions, but I've never been involved in a pen swap before but it sounds like it could be fun and informative.

Also, what all goes on in these meetings. I understand it will be from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. Again, never been to one and I'm curious. Looking forward to it.

Thanks.

We will place all of the pens for the pen swap up on a table, and put your name in the hat to be "randomly" chosen with another individual. If there is an odd number of folks, the three last folks are "chosen randomly". You certainly can bring more than one pen if you like. We usually bring a pen, and a case to put it in (some are available at the meeting if you dont have one [shameless plug]).

Ben will be doing a demonstration on a relatively kitless pen. He uses very limited pieces from kits, and will show us how he does his kit "lite" pens.

Mostly it is a meet and greet, and a few "technical" talks going on. If you have some extra blanks or kits, please bring them to trade or give away!!

Hope to see ya there!!!!!!!!!

truittsosebee

I would like to attend, but probably can't for the entire 6 hours. Do people come and go from 10 to 4? If so, what time does the pen swap take place?

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
You can come in for as long as you can stand us! LOL.....

We will do the pen swap probably right before lunch, or before Ben starts his demo on the kit lite demonstration.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ok folks, since it is getting closer, just wanted to remind everyone what the schedule looks like for the 19th meeting.

Ben will be doing a demo, VERY EARLY, so like at 10am promptly he will start the kit lite demo. Ben has to leave a little early, so he will wrap up around 11am or so. I will be recording the session, and will show it later in the day for folks who do not get to see Ben live. If you plan on seeing the demo live, BE AT WOODCRAFT PROMPTLY or even before 10am. I will be there around 9:30 or so to get the room set up, so come on back and help me out!

Pen swap will be right before lunch. So far I have about 10 to 12 of us doing the pen swap.

We will have folks displaying work on the side benches all day long, along with the trade and swap table, the give away table, and probably a few items for sale.

We have a Southeast member who would like for some of us to turn pen clip ends (back end of a cartridge pen) for a group of troops in the middle east, so if you think you can turn some pens while you are at the meeting, bring some of your turning tools. I will have a few mandrels and such. Maybe the member can supply more information on what he needs for us to do. Your help would be much appreciated in getting these done for the troops!

mikegibs

Hey All,

I'm the member Robert mentioned above. My younger brother, Len Gibson, is on his 3rd tour abroad with his Ga National Guard unit. I'm a bad brother - he told me the unit before leaving and I can't remember - I think they are out of Winder... (Emailed Len to check details). Long story short: I sent him a care package with stuff and pens. His buddies LOVED the Cartridge pen I made him. He emailed me @ Thanksgiving asking for 30 pens. My paying job is school band director so this is a VERY busy time for me. I'll provide kits and blanks. What I'd like - if possible - is a few members in attendance to turn a pen or two and finish them. I'll assemble and send out.

My brother did give me til New Year's...

If you're willing, I would appreciate it and I know Len's unit will as well.

Mike G.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Alright everyone, I will bring some mandrels and things to help us turn for Mike and his brother, but bring YOUR TURNING TOOLS OR WHATEVER ELSE YOU NEED TO TURN LIKE YOU LIKE TO. THis would include any personal safety gear that you like to use, face masks, safety glasses, respitory protection etc.

We will have access to the Jet lathes, so everything will be 2MT if you are bringing your own mandrels and such.

Please help Mike out, as I have a strong feeling about turning for those who are over in dangerous places making sure we get to enjoy the freedoms we do!

RCC

Long time lurker...first time posting...

I live in Roswell, about 7 miles or so from the wood craft, I plant to be there this Saturday. I would like to know what the timings will be.

I hope to make some new friends and even pick up some tips. I have yet to turn my first pen, but I have plans.

I also would like to meet some of the locals that post here & see in person the very creative works.

Thanks!

Ric

papaturner

Long time lurker...first time posting...

I live in Roswell, about 7 miles or so from the wood craft, I plant to be there this Saturday. I would like to know what the timings will be.

I hope to make some new friends and even pick up some tips. I have yet to turn my first pen, but I have plans.

I also would like to meet some of the locals that post here & see in person the very creative works.

Thanks!

Ric
Ric te time will be 10am to 4pm.

Rojo Is it safe to asume that mike will accept some finished pen? If so I have a few to give.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I am not sure if Mike is looking for completed pieces, but I can see if he is interested. If I dont get a reply before the meeting, bring what you have and if he is, you can give him what you have. If he responds, I will post it here.

Ric te time will be 10am to 4pm.

Rojo Is it safe to asume that mike will accept some finished pen? If so I have a few to give.

mikegibs

Hey All,

If you happen to see this prior to the meeting, I appreciate all you are willing to do. I'm bringing 15 prepared blanks - different woods and acrylics. They are basic blanks - I didn't have time to add stripes, etc, but they are ready to mount and turn. I also have a couple sets of bushings. I will also have my chisels - not fancy but they work. I'll bring a little Myland's finish and enough oil and thin CA if you are inclined. Also have paper towels and 120, 220, and 320 sanding strips. Also have some MM for the acrylic blanks or others if you want to go that far.

It's really interesting to see others work.

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Mike G.

davinci27

It was good to see everybody today. Hopefully I didn't fall over my words or the lathe to much today. Maybe the next time I do a Demo I will try to get a full pen done.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
Ben did a great job today, and I learned a ton about how to misuse...I mean use a collet chuck!

I will post a bunch of pics tomorrow when I get a chance, and I want to thank everyone who participated in the pen swap!

I think we even helped Mike reach his goal!

Next meeting is in March of 2010, keep a look out for the posts.

papaturner

Ben, You did an outstanding job. I really appreciate what you did and I will surely put it to use. Thanks.

It was a real treat to see every one today.
Ric glad to have you in the group.

Russell Eaton

Thanks Ben for all the info and instructions, especially on how not to superglue. Look at the post in SOYP and you can see what I blew up. I learned alot thanks again. Russell

Top Bottom