Felt tip pen kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SkewedUp

I got a request to make a fine point felt tip pen but I don't think I've ever seen a kit available to make one.

Any ideas?

And yes, time is short because it would be a Christmas gift.

TIA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dogcatcher

I have made regular Sharpie pens in to customs, but never tried a fine tip. I think the closest deal would be to measure the diameter and length, and drill turn and shove one into the turned blank. Ditto for the cap.

gtriever

The only thing I've seen is the Marker Armor kit from Woodcraft, but it gets bad reviews for the the cap not sealing properly.

TonyL

Schmidt makes a 6040 refill for roller balls. It is close to a fine point felt tip. However, despite the higher price of the refill, I have not had any last more than a few hours.

monophoto

Sharpie makes a 'high-end' pen that uses a replaceable cartridge. If you do a search on this board, you will find discussions about turning bodies to hold that cartridge.

I've tried to do this, and the basic turning is fairly easy. The challenge is that the replaceable cartridge is design to screw into the Sharpie body using a proprietary thread, and there are no standard taps available that match that thread. As I recall, it is possible to 'special order' an appropriate tap, but for cost reasons that only makes sense if you intend to make a bunch of these, and almost certainly is not a practical option for a gift for Christmas 2017.

An option to at least try is to create molded threads inside the turned body. Turn the body with an ID that is as close as possible to the major diameter over the threads of the insert so that the insert fits snugly into the body. Wrap the insert threads tightly with teflon plumber's tape, and apply a coat of epoxy or thick CA, and then slide the insert into the body and allow the glue to cure. Later, after the glue has cured, unscrew the insert and remove the remnants of the PTFE tape. The cured glue inside the barrel should be a close match to the threading on the insert.

You could just glue the replacement cartridge into the turned body (make it a disposable pen). But if disposable is OK, then you could accomplish the same thing by simply turning a sleeve to glue over a standard disposable Sharpie pen. The clip on the standard Sharpie might be in the way, but its easily removable.

magpens

There is a kit, from Berea I think . . I think it is called HyMark

BearToothWoods.com had some kits on clearance recently.

The blurb on the website says this:

The Hymark™ The Hymark™ is a marker/Highlighter pen holder that holds three different sizes of Sharpie® marker/highlighter pens, Fine, Extra Fine and Ultra Fine. The Hymark™ comes with two different size nib sections, one to be used for the Sharpie® Fine and the other to be used with the Extra Fine and Ultra Fine markers/highlighters. The Hymark™ marker/highlighter pen holder is designed to keep the color of your marker/highlighter pen fresh every time.
Markers/Highlighers not included

Last edited:

SkewedUp

Thanks for all the replies.

Thanks Louie, the link to that discussion was very helpful. The Sharpie refills would be a better option for me than the Hymark (I don't even have a 14 or 15 mm drill bit).

The Hymark is probably too big to be a practical option and the Sharpie refills requiring special tapping are not going to happen prior to Christmas. I did find the Sharpie refills available, but they are pretty expensive and that is not good for the end user.

It was an interesting request that I wanted to check out and I knew that IAP would be the place to find out if it was a feasible thing to attempt.

Thanks again everyone - your input was very much appreciated.

Here's a link to the previous thread on this subject - http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/sharpie-refill-pens-126442/. Amazing - almost exactly three years ago. Time does fly - - -

Incidentally, the prototype that I made is still sitting on my desk. Don't use it all that often, but no one else in my neighborhood has one just like it!

SkewedUp

Thanks Bill,

I just watched that youtube video and it was great. I think that is do-able if I had a little more time and the refills were not so expensive.

I especially liked that Steve marked the desired depth on his drill bits using a Sharpie! :)

FWIW Steve 4948 did a video on this exact topic almost 6 years ago. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbzoW2qLDB8

For those getting started in kitless Steve made some really good videos. Some of his Toastmaster speeches are also well worth watching.

Bill

Top Bottom