Feature Ring For Bowl Blunder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I started making this feature ring for a bowl . As it turned out , I was not happy with it because it didn't go according to plan. The maple should show on both sides of the ovals as well as top and bottom.
I had basic instructions on how to make the ring but no measurements so it was pretty well guess work .When it turned out badly I was about to toss it into the burn pile when my wife saw it and she said OH . . NO . . Don't throw that one out . Just use the ring and make a dish for me with it. So I put a segmented ring on top and a solid piece on the bottom and this is the way it turned out. I am rather glad I saved it now and I learned my mistakes on this one (I think) and hopefully the next one will be a bowl instead of a dish as first planned .

It is 8" diameter by 2.25" deep.

390366597.jpg

390366598.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Thanks for all the kind responses . Those things are fun to make but also easy to screw up if not careful.

The next one will hopefully be a bowl like the first one was intended to be and not a dish type bowl like this one.
Between reviewing Malclom Tibbetts DVDs a couple more times and getting some more suggestions on his site , I am hopeful that the next time will be a bowl with the ovals properly balanced and have segmented rings above and below the feature ring.
I am in the process of making a couple more jigs that help when doing segmentation. It is an exacting art form and just like you can't have too many clamps, you can't have too many jigs that help to get the job done. :wink:

Fred

William ... that definitely is one great 'mistake' and is a prime example of one's ability to overcome errors. Keep on making these mistakes ... and get prepared to write a tutorial about making them so the rest of us can make a few mistakes of our own. :cool:

I also like the way you finished off the bottom. What did you use to hold the bowl on the lathe? BTW, be sure to tell the wife that she has saved the day by not allowing you to burn that one. Great save! :biggrin:

atomic ray

Heck no, it is terrible...seriously, throw it away...along with whatever else you have laying around, tools, blanks, bowls, and whatever else you have that disappoints...then call me...I will take out the trash and help you out :banana:

...kidding of course, that is a great piece, to throw it away would be a crime.

Top Bottom