Faux Ivory Celluloid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from timcbs

timcbs

Hey Guys,

Here is a pen I made today out of Faux Ivory Celluloid, first time I have ever used the stuff, it is very easy to turn and I like the way it looks when finished, I made it to look like a old time pen, hidden clip and closed ends, this one happens to be a roller ball and was made from a Majestic Junior.

Let me know what you guys think.

Tim (timcbs)

Attachments

• White Pen1.jpg
    White Pen1.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 376
  • White Pen2.jpg
    White Pen2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 360
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Tim, I know I am going to get into trouble with my comment here, but it is my own opinion and likes - Closed end and dual closed ends look better and more expensive than ones with the plated gold finials/end caps that come with them. Your looks fantastic.

RAdams

Banned
I REALLY REALLY LIKE THIS PEN! One of the nicest i have seen in a long time. Very pleasing to the eye. Nice shape, Old school style. Very elegant! I bet it writes like a dream!

ldb2000

Great looking pen . It looks like a vintage Sheaffer fountain pen . I have never heard of "Faux Ivory Celluloid" where did you get it ? I love the look of that stuff , it looks like Casein .

Last edited:

mickr

the hidden clip & closed ends make this a real winner..blank material is superb too...can't do any better than this..it is a stunner

Texatdurango

Very nice indeed! I never gave much thought to doing a closed end or double closed end design with a "high dollar" kit, I guess because I'm just too cheap to toss out half the parts! :)

Seeing this has changed my mind, thanks for sharing. I too would like to know where I might find such a blank. I recently started a casein pen and it does look similar.

jskeen

Tim; I love the design! It looks both sophisticated and timeless, a modern adaptation of a vintage design. That being said, I gotta admit, the rollerball just ain't doin it for me. That thing practically screams 18k gold nib from the outside, and the rb section just seems like a letdown when you open it. Not to mention, I would bet my last bottle of CA that if you plan to sell it, you could add $100 to the price by adding the fp section, and probably another $100 to add the 18k nib as an option. Heck, you could throw in the RB section and refill as a freebie.

For a platinum plated kit, I think the only option to get a FP section is to buy another kit though. I just don't know how a black and gold section would look with the white body. Might be super sharp, might just look plain wrong. I have one of each, and would be willing to ship them to you and let you try them, look them over, write with them for bit and see which one you like, and we could work out a trade from there. If interested, pm me.

As for the material, I must assume that it is what Ed and Dawn call "Casein" in their catalog (and sold out of before I could order any, Darnit!) But that being said, I would love for one of them to jump in here and clarify what exactly it is. A quick web search reveals that "casein" is, as expected, the protein in milk. No mention of it's naturally occurring in pen blank form. A little more searching shows that a product called Galalith (Erinoid in the United Kingdom) was made from milk protein, and widely used as an ivory substitute at the turn of the century, without celluloids unfortunate propensity to catch fire at the slightest opportunity. Inquiring minds want to know.

James

Top Bottom