Father + son = Wife rolls eyes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Soooo my inquisitive 13 year old son was quizzing me on my airbrush i was playing with, and i gave him some ideas on what you could spray with one for instance. next thing you know he's back with a nerf gun, wanting to "man it up" a touch, much to SWMBO's disgust

So heres what we started off with:
attachment.php

Now for those which are not familiar with these toys they are great.. the tops pump action, and takes a magazine of foam darts, and fires them a very good distance. not will i admit to me and the lads tearing around the house with them littering the entire house with foam darts.. lol.

Its brightly coloured like this for obvious reasons.. though seeing as Zach never uses his outdoors it was agreed we would do the project so long as it stays indoors, so he doesn't get shot my police.

so i started with the "laser" sight....
attachment.php

This "laser" is actually a red LED behind a convex lens to create a red blur... theres no beam let alone a dot.its more of a torch.... and an inefficient torch too.

I stripped out the led light and lens leaving its battery compartment and switch in situ, and replaced it with a 1mw green laser module. I sprayed it matt black. now it has a pin sharpvery bright green dot which i would imagine would far exceedthe range of a real rifle

attachment.php

so thats my handywork done, i left Zach to strip down and spray the remainder of his nerf gun. He's very happy and his friends are envious so seems to of have had the desired result... swimbo on the other hand keeps making hmmm sounds :biggrin:

attachment.php

Attachments

• nerf-recon.jpg
    nerf-recon.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 943
  • 150436_357726434334038_1118212592_n.jpg
    150436_357726434334038_1118212592_n.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 841
  • 551321_357726334334048_1523224666_n.jpg
    551321_357726334334048_1523224666_n.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 871
  • 533975_357751574331524_1438394405_n.jpg
    533975_357751574331524_1438394405_n.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 849
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

In the states you don't want to remove the orange barrel color. It is there to prove to the police that you are not pointing a real gun at them. Before you roll your eyes and say the whole thing does not look real, you need to put yourself in their shoes. They have a millisecond to decide whether they should shoot you or not. I have been on the wrong end of a cop's gun and thankfully my modified laser tag gun had the bright orange barrel tip. nothing like barreling around a corner in a city park laser tag gun drawn and meeting two cops with their very real guns being drawn. We laughed about it afterwords and thankfully I did not need a change of underwear. They said the orange barrel cap was the only thing that saved me.

My boys have a several nerf guns. The best shooter is the little pistol. Thing hurts. Mom/wife bought us all laser tag guns for Christmas.

BradG

Joe, no doubt that will appear on his wishlist at some point.

Haynie our police dont have guns. Some of them are allowed to carry a taser but most just have cs gas. We then have the armed division but they are either called in or on guard at airports etc.... so not aloy of chance of getting shot in a split second here.... besides from that as I said in the OP he's not allowed to take it outside

healeydays

In the states you don't want to remove the orange barrel color. It is there to prove to the police that you are not pointing a real gun at them. Before you roll your eyes and say the whole thing does not look real, you need to put yourself in their shoes. They have a millisecond to decide whether they should shoot you or not. I have been on the wrong end of a cop's gun and thankfully my modified laser tag gun had the bright orange barrel tip. nothing like barreling around a corner in a city park laser tag gun drawn and meeting two cops with their very real guns being drawn. We laughed about it afterwords and thankfully I did not need a change of underwear. They said the orange barrel cap was the only thing that saved me.

My boys have a several nerf guns. The best shooter is the little pistol. Thing hurts. Mom/wife bought us all laser tag guns for Christmas.

I was going to bring that up too. There have been too many stories of people being shot with toy guns that the police couldn't distinguish as a toy. That's why they passed the law in 1992 to have all toy guns muzzles be of a fluorescent color.

Don't get me wrong, it's definitely cool and as a kid, I would have loved it...

Last edited:

sbell111

I was going to bring that up too. There have been too many stories of people being shot with toy guns that the police couldn't distinguish as a toy. That's why they passed the law in 1992 to have all toy guns muzzles be of a fluorescent color.
So now I have to paint my AR-15's flash suppressor international orange? When will it end????

Haynie

he's not allowed to take it outside

That would be nothing but a challenge to me, when I was young, and my 7 year old now.

Showed it to my 7 year old and he wants a Nerf with a laser site. I told him men didn't need laser sites. :biggrin: That got me out of it for now. I am sure he will be asking again soon. I would blame this on you, but I was the dummy that showed it to him.

BradG

When he understands thats the consiquence of his actions would be that his xbox would be placed in a 10 tonne hydraulic press and he would be made to pump the handle.... theres no flex to the rules in my house and he knows the score :)

Have fun building your lad a laser lol

markgum

Now you need to enhance the spring to make those nerf darts REALLY fly. Modified a small nerf gun and darts were flying 40 feet. There are several web sites out there to modify them.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Make sure he keeps the laser away from flying planes and helicopters as well.

A man in Winnipeg pointed a 99cent laser pointer he bought off ebay at a police helicopter at night - just playing around and decided to check the range. He temporarily blinded the pilot, making her lose her night vision. Police pinpointed the house and arrested him shortly after, and he's now facing huge fines and possible jail time.

BradG

Make sure he keeps the laser away from flying planes and helicopters as well.

A man in Winnipeg pointed a 99cent laser pointer he bought off ebay at a police helicopter at night - just playing around and decided to check the range. He temporarily blinded the pilot, making her lose her night vision. Police pinpointed the house and arrested him shortly after, and he's now facing huge fines and possible jail time.

Wowzers bet that was a shock to his system... Thanks for mentioning that il make sure I never do it lol... someone I know was joking about pointing a laser pointer at the queen to see what would happen .. we talked him out of it being a stupid idea most probably resulting in him being shot lol. Fool

Top Bottom