Father-In Law Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
This June my Father-In-Law will celebrate his 90'th Birthday. He has lived his entire life in the house he was born in! There is a massive Burr Oak tree that he used to climb as a kid. Last summer I collected some of the acorn caps, and sent then to Robutacion for him to cast into something useful...

My Father-In-Law has been an inspiration to me for 35 years now. He was a country Lawyer, Probate Judge and Juvenile Judge in a small county in Southern Ohio. He also taught me the power of "Paying it Forward" by being willing to help others when you can. He had many High School Students go through an Intervention Program he supervised every Sunday from 5 AM - 7 AM (yup, the kids had to be up bright and early)!

For every student that made it through his program, which also required them to get their High School Diploma, he made sure they had a brand new Suit or Dress for their Graduation. When he retired, he had anonymously given away 58 outfits!

This pen is a tribute to someone who I care deeply for. I knew my own father far too briefly, and it was a comfort when I was openly welcomed into this family. So, to my Kayaking buddy, Happy 90'th birthday.

And to George (Robutacion), thank you also Mate!

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2099.jpg
    IMG_2099.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2102.jpg
    IMG_2102.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_2104.jpg
    IMG_2104.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2105.jpg
    IMG_2105.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_2106.jpg
    IMG_2106.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_2114.jpg
    IMG_2114.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Hi Mark,

Thanks for mentioning my name as the blank maker and I'm very glad that you manage to make something so nice out of it.

I nearly throw that blank away, the cast didn't turn out as I wanted and I got convinced that those acorn caps, had some sort of resin, acid or something, I boil them, I roasted them and still the resin would react to the outer surfaces of the cap, was the idea to round it out and cut most of the blank outside that, made it fairly usable but, it would need some nice handling and imagination and that you did very well, congrats...!

Lets see that the other bigger blank, will turn out...!:wink:

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark,

Thanks for mentioning my name as the blank maker and I'm very glad that you manage to make something so nice out of it.

I nearly throw that blank away, the cast didn't turn out as I wanted and I got convinced that those acorn caps, had some sort of resin, acid or something, I boil them, I roasted them and still the resin would react to the outer surfaces of the cap, was the idea to round it out and cut most of the blank outside that, made it fairly usable but, it would need some nice handling and imagination and that you did very well, congrats...!

Lets see that the other bigger blank, will turn out...!:wink:

Cheers
George

The acorn caps were not a good material to start with - what you finished with was great! It actually turned fine. I was very worried that I would splatter it, so that is why my method of drilling was done.

The 2 larger casts I am think at least one may be a nice desk pen holder??? The size is fine. I have the second blank which was drilled, painted and tubed just fine. So I will turn that one and give the best as the gift.

In all reality... This is a gift that will be appreciated for what it was made of.
My Kayaking buddy is having many issues related to progressive Alzheimer's disease, and there is no need to fine tune this... We dun good George!!! The circle of life is calling. Thanks for your help.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Great pen & a wonderful story, Mark.
You & George dun good!
We will keep your Father in Law in our prayers during these difficult times.

ossaguy

Beautiful pen,and a neat way to pay tribute to such a great man! Just think of how many lives he has touched,Wow!

Steve

Top Bottom