Fat Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I had a request for a pen the size of a bottle stopper for someone with arthritis has anyone ever made one that could point me in the right direction for the components?

Thanks Jonathan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyitfast

I can't imagine the need for one that big, but then someone with arthritis knows what feels and works best.
I have made several pens,with normal kit components, for family and friends with arthritis that are just a little bit larger, but more importantly, I have found that turning the pen so that there is a little bit of a outward flair just before the nib end. This is a help keeping the fingers from slipping off the pen when it can't be gripped as tightly as normal. Just a thought. I have used cigar style pens which seem to be the easiest to add the flair.
gordon

Last edited:

SDB777

Senior Gents are BIG....I get my kits from timberbits.com

Not sure about using a blank that measures 1-1/2" diameter on it though...it might look 'strange'? Be interesting to see what you come up with though.....

Scott (will it fit in a shirt pocket though) B

turncrazy43

Look at the video on the Woodnwhimsies web site. There is a demo of a slim line kit conversion for an arthritic person.

KenV

Where is Jim Burr when you need him?

Google the Geoff Pen. Les Elm showed one off in about 2012 or so. Sold by a canadian firm. This is a BIG 7 mm style pen.

dtswebb

When I started turning, I preferred the cigar pen to the slimline for learning technique. I experimented with diameters and some were quite bulbous. I didn't think to much of it until a lady with bad arthritis saw one I had done in a purple Rhinoplastic. The FAT cigar pen fit her hand well, was comfortable for her to use and she is able to get refills darn near anywhere.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I made this one for my late Mom. It's based on a standard two barrel click pen. No reason why you can't just use a Long Clicker and turn the end as wide as you need.

Craft Supplies UK used to carry one called a Jumbo Pen but they were taken over by Turners Retreat here in the UK, and I can't see it on their site.

I'm sure the recipient will be more pleased by the functionality than the asthetics (sp?) so a blank that doesn't 'flow' from the nib shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck

Oh BTW....my Mom asked for a clicker as it was difficult to twist a pen

2115.jpg

Last edited:

GaryT45

If you google Arthritis Pens, you will find some images that look like a tennis ball with a pen stuck thru it, so for some people, something very big is useful.

sbell111

I had a request for a pen the size of a bottle stopper for someone with arthritis has anyone ever made one that could point me in the right direction for the components?

Thanks Jonathan

What I would probably do is make a modified slimline/comfort/streamline with a mini pen tip.

The mini pen's tip is 'stubbier' than the slim's which allows you to get fat fast without it looking horrible. Since this tip is shorter than the slim's, you'll need to use a longer bottom tube. These tubes come in ten inch lengths so you can make them whatever length you need. Ditch the center band and shorten the top tube so that the pen isn't too long. Plan out this top tube length to ensure that it is still long enough to contain the mechanism, refill and cap coupler with the refill completely retracted. Lose the clip. This fat of a pen is never going to be clipped to anything.

Top Bottom