Farm Wood Georgia Heart Pine Bolt Action and Civil War Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from southernclay

southernclay

The first pen is a bolt action (CSUSA Lock N Load) made out of Georgia heart pine. The wood came from a friend's farm in south Georgia. It has been in his family's barns for decades sitting there getting dusty. You can see blanks I have already cut in the picture too, they were cut from stakes used as drying racks for tobacco. conveniently enough for me they are already in blank dimensions :) He has tons of them so I'm going to stock up a little more next time I'm there. CA finish, I didn't do a great job on the finish but happy with the turning and pen overall. Overall turned well, no problems with sap or smell, sandpaper gummed up though and had to watch chips.

Second pen is a walnut Civil War pen for my dad's birthday. Walnut with Doctor's Woodshop finish, turned out nice, I overturned slightly I think but very happy overall and pops will be very happy.

Thanks for looking. Hopefully the pics are a bit improved, downloaded Picasa and it made it a lot easier to make not great pictures less not great (Thanks Scott B for the photo post recommending Picasa)

Warren

Attachments

• fw1.jpg
    fw1.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 360
  • fw 2.jpg
    fw 2.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 296
  • cw1.jpg
    cw1.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 314
  • cw2.jpg
    cw2.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 196
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ossaguy

That's some nice wood grain & color in those,really nice.

How do you like the Lock n Load kit?

Steve

OZturner

Two Beauties, to start the Year Warren
Great use of fantastic wood, the Georgia Heart Pine, and the Spectacular Walnut
I haven't seen the CSUSA Lock N Load before, we are a little delayed in getting any knowledge of new Kits Down Under.
It looks very interesting with the Knurled Bolt Knob.
Congratulations,
Brian.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I have some of the tobacco stick blanks from Pearson Ga, hard to tell if its pine or cypress, after years of use they are somewhat filled with dirt and other contaminants. Still make pretty pens.........

southernclay

Thanks guys, I like the Lock N Load, I haven't done any other bolt actions so nothing to compare it to really. Assembled nicely.

Oldman that's cool, these actually came from Nashville about 30 miles from Pearson, small world. Was someone selling the ones you have or just know someone that farms there?

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
tobacco stick

You know this is kinda funny but I dated a girl from Nashville Ga 45 years ago, my brother married a girl from there, I was born and raised in Tifton and own a house there now. (long story). I have a friend in Pearson that I go and hear preach whenever we are in south Ga visiting Mom in nursing home. He is the one that I got the tobacco sticks from. Small world............

wildbill23c

Banned
I really like both of those, just turned and assembled my first Bolt Action Pen today and used Purple Hart Wood. Really like the way they turn out. I think here the next time I venture over to Woodcraft I'll pick up some of the civil war style pen kits as well.

southernclay

Looks good, I like that combo

I think the civil war pen may be a PSI only kit but not sure about that. I know exotic blanks and other PSI resellers have them. Great kit overall

Top Bottom