Fan Pulls? Chain Length?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeMcM1956

MikeMcM1956

I've been turning a few fan pulls for fun and to practice some techniques I wouldn't normally use on pens. I'd like to add them to my sales lineup, but have a quandry.

The kits come with a short (~6") chain, and once you install the bottom finial the chain is pretty much fixed at that length without adding more 'splice clips' and additional chain lengths.

Having installed aftermarket fan pulls on the fans in my house, I know first-hand that every fan needs a slightly different length of chain. And six inches usually ain't long enough (hold yer perverted comments). Some applications may need a foot, some even more, depending on how high the fan is mounted.

So, back to my quandry. Do I just toss two foot of chain on every one, put the bottom finial in, charge for all the extra chain and let the customer cut to length? Or leave the bottom finial uninstalled until the sale, cut chain to the customer's spec (and price per length) and install and press the finial at the time of sale?

Do any of you even make and sell fan pulls? If so, what kind of pricings and volumes do you sell? I'm thinking that it could be another 'tool' to get folks interested in other items....

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JeffinWIS

Mike, I can't help much, but I have been putting a couple feet of chain on each pull so it can be cut to length. The chain is only about $.06/ft. So far, I have just been giving them away to friends and family.

Attachments

• LP-009 TO LP-012.jpg
    LP-009 TO LP-012.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 129
I've run out of my inventory and haven't bought any new kits, but I put them out as they come in the kit... the clients who buy them will have varying needs of what lengths they want and no matter what you put out, they'll want something different. If they want a longer chain, I let them go to Lowe's or the lighting store and get whatever they need... for me, the extra expense isn't worth the hassle.

Top Bottom