Fan/light Pull

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drcal

Drcal

I want to turn some pulls that go on the end of a chain to operate ceiling fans.

It looks like the easiest to turn is one style from CSUSA. It also only requires that you buy a bit of chain--- that is all that makes up the kit & only $1.10. However, it says it requires a mandrel that costs over $30.00. See photo. One end of the blank has a hole into which the mandrel fits. At the other end, they say to use a revolving center in a smaller hole.

Has anyone ever used just a cone deal center in the headstock? I refuse to spend $30+ on a mandrel.

Any thoughts.......

Carmen

Charlie_W

I think if you turn it round first(between centers) and close to final diameter, then drill and try it with light shaving cuts. You can cut a small piece of foam to fit in the drive end for a little better grip.
Use some scrap wood,try it and see.
A transfer punch in a collet chuck or your drill chuck is a whole lot cheaper than a dedicated chuck. Get a long aluminum guttering nail at home depot and turn it to the correct size and give that a try. Just not as sturdy as steel.

juteck

I just buy my chain and bell ends at the local hardware store in 3' lengths and cut to length I need. Drill the small hole to fit the chain (1/8" or 9/64" I believe), and a bigger hole to fit the bell (mine are 1/4"). I had an old pen mandrel that I cut short, and ground the end like a screw driver, with a forked end. This acts like a 2-prong spur center. Mount that in a collet chuck or similar method at the headstock end. If your hole is bigger, just put a sleeve around the drive spur. Tailstock - live center. Turn between centers.

Another way would be to make a pin chuck to fit your large hole size.

I just bought an expanding 1/4" mandrel for something else, and I think it would work well too.

Another way is to turn a dowel to fit your large hole, and use it like a jamb chuck. Use you'd tailstock.

Save your $30.

Top Bottom