Fake Walnut .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Price of Walnut has gone through the roof so got some of this Thermally Modified Aspen from my lumber supplier . It sure looks like walnut and is about 1/3 the price. Where I live walnut is $17.99 board foot and rising constantly . This T M Aspen is $6.99 board foot.
Started the glue up for this one yesterday and finished it off today . It is 9" diameter x 5" tall .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Would be easy to fool someone into thinking it was choice black walnut .

It is quite a bit softer wood than walnut though but it machines beautifully and takes a finish real good .
Aspen trees are very plentiful out east here and is a very light colour , almost white wood . Amazing what the Thermal Modification does to it because the colouring is consistent all the way through it . . Aspen used to be more or less junk wood around here and not even good enough for firewood. It is great that some is now being put to good use .

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great looking segmented bowl!

I was going through some slabs when I was in Japan about 10 years ago and came across one that looked exactly like walnut. It was rough cut, so it was hard to see the grain clearly. However, the color was exactly like walnut. I finally found some chalk markings. While I knew some wood's kanji, I didn't know that one. After finding a helper in the store, he said it was kuwa or mulberry. Fresh cut mulberry looks the color of teak with a similar grain, but ages into a nice brown on the surface very similar to walnut.

LOVE the segmenting you did!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful Bowl, and I see no reason not to use the alternate walnut.

Earlier today I bought a piece of Padauk (4 BF) for 4.99 BF on sale from 16.00 BF. It does add up.

Again... Beautiful bowl! :cool:

Charlie_W

Wonderful bowl William!

Earlier this year, local wood supplier had some thermally modified quarter sawn red oak.....of course I had to get some...this was 7/8" thick in planks about 16" long and varied width...1x3, 1x4.
I have a couple of platters glued up waiting for a turn on the lathe. Again, it too is a walnut color but with the red oak grain. Some does have good quarter sawn grain as well.

Top Bottom