Failed pen attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from markwads

markwads

I tried to make a pen with dark wood on the left and light on the right, with a Celtic knot of the opposite wood. It was not a success -- the resulting blank wasn't straight, and it came apart when I tried to drill it. So I tried again with a wine stopper. That was big enough to work out pretty well. Maybe I'll try the pen again since the proof of concept was OK.

Attachments

• IMG_2638-500.jpg
    IMG_2638-500.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2639-500.jpg
    IMG_2639-500.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2637-500.jpg
    IMG_2637-500.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 147
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I tried to make a pen with dark wood on the left and light on the right, with a Celtic knot of the opposite wood. It was not a success -- the resulting blank wasn't straight, and it came apart when I tried to drill it. So I tried again with a wine stopper. That was big enough to work out pretty well. Maybe I'll try the pen again since the proof of concept was OK.

Mark; When drilling the knot or any segmented pen put the square blank in the vise and only snug it up with a block supporting the blank from underneath. Drill gently and at slow speed with a newly sharpened drill bit. Heat is your enemy.

The stopper looks nice! Confused Randy. This is three photos of one stopper?

Last edited:

mrcook4570

When drilling segmented blanks, I wrap them with several layers of masking tape and then drill them. This keeps them from blowing apart and it turns away very easily after the tube has been glued in place.

markwads

Mark; When drilling the knot or any segmented pen put the square blank in the vise and only snug it up with a block supporting the blank from underneath. Drill gently and at slow speed with a newly sharpened drill bit. Heat is your enemy.

The stopper looks nice! Confused Randy. This is three photos of one stopper?
Three pictures of the same stopper.

Top Bottom