Extending Your Home Network

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

Due to structure and topology, I have a problem getting a WiFi signal throughout the house. I also have a TV in the den that requires a LAN drop.

I've tried a network extender but really had problems configuring it. Once configured, I go mixed results.

Someone told be about a device that uses your home electrical line as the cabling. This so called "Powerline" technology allows you to connect a device into your electric socket. Run a Ethernet cable from your router to the device. You plug a second device where you want a LAN drop or wireless, pair the two devices, and now you have connectivity where you want it.

I thought it would be great for those of you who want connectivity in your shop (providing you are running to the same electric box).

Here is a review of the device:

Review: TP-Link TL-WPA4220KIT Powerline Range Extender Kit - Tech Made Easy

It took me 10 minutes to setup.

I got mine through Amazon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

My home is rather large with 3 full floors. I bought a Netgear extender/booster for about $40 from Amazon. It was easier to use and did extend the range. However, I heard, but I am not sure, that most extenders/boosters will slow the "speed" of the signal. I am no techie, just relaying what I heard. Maybe the one that you are considering overcomes the speed reduction (assuming this is true). I was going to buy a second one, so let me know what you learn. Thank you and good luck.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
A great tool for checking the speed of your network is Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test

This will give you your upload and download speeds. Start out with only your main router connected and with your computer as close to the router as possible. Run the test a few times and note your average upload/download speeds. This will give you your best possible performance factors.

Then move to farther regions of your home and run the test again to see how much speed you are losing due to loss of signal strength. The weaker the signal, the slower your speeds because of all the packet retries that will be necessary. This will also give you some insight as to where you might need to position a repeater/booster unit.

After installing one or more repeater/boosters, rerun the tests -- at the main router, near the booster and at farther regions of your home. This will let you know if the booster has any effect on the best speed at the main router (probably little if any) and what improvements you get elsewhere.

This tool will also give you a good measure of the "powerline technology" effectiveness throughout your home if you use that instead of a conventional booster.

Hope this is of some help - we use this tool all the time at my office whenever someone complains about slow Internet speeds.

Edgar

Last edited:

Fireengines

Tony

You are correct the speed is decreasted but it is great for the shop where you don't have wireless coverage.

TonyL

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should measure the speed reduction; I really need one more extender.

Top Bottom