Experimenting with Walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

I'm still working on coming up with an "all wooden" pen with a clip.
I do not like this one - overall. It will be in my personal usage drawer.

I tried a natural finish - which I don't mind, but the clip just doesn't go with the rustic look of everything else. With a different clip it might be a different pen.
I still don't like the shape - but it's closer than the last one.

I do use kit parts, but I put them in the collet chuck and shave them down in different ways to get them inset and out of sight.

I'm working on a custom pen for someone that is due in February, so I have time to work out the kinks. I learned a lot on this one and will keep at it. I do really like the overall length.

Thanks for looking. Comments/Suggestions are always welcomed.

Attachments

• Walnut-6880.jpg
    Walnut-6880.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Walnut-6881.jpg
    Walnut-6881.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 185
  • Walnut-6882.jpg
    Walnut-6882.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 215
  • Walnut-6884.jpg
    Walnut-6884.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Design looks good, but I agree that clip is a little bit too over the top. It looks like you have unsupported wood at the edge of the cap where you inset the cap thread parts. Have you tested to see whether that will be strong enough to survive regular use and the occasional drop? Looks pretty thin in the picture, but that could be deceiving.

Ed

MartinPens

thin wood

Design looks good, but I agree that clip is a little bit too over the top. It looks like you have unsupported wood at the edge of the cap where you inset the cap thread parts. Have you tested to see whether that will be strong enough to survive regular use and the occasional drop? Looks pretty thin in the picture, but that could be deceiving.

Ed

Yeah, I need to get the inset piece closer to the rim to support that wood. I did reinforce the inside with thin CA, but I'm not sure it would survive a drop.

I know the clip is a disaster, but I think it's good to show works in progress :biggrin:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The one with the maple and cherry is a bit thick. I have since slimmed them down quite a bit as seen in the walnut and mesquite pen thread.

Wingdoctor

I know you are going for the rustic look, but a CA finish would make that nice piece of walnut pop, and it would take care of the slight underturning. I love fancy wood, but I like the depth of the CA finish that really shows off the grain.

Jjartwood

Beautiful work,just beautiful! I kind of really like the clash of the two looks, a little
2500 grit will take some of the shine off the clip and give it more of a rustic look,
that will bring it down to a luster matching more closely with the walnut.
nice nice nice!!!!
Mark

Top Bottom