Experience with Alibaba

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

zig613

Tony,

I have purchased a couple of small items through their site from a couple of different vendors. The items arrived and where as advertised but, the mail out of China to Canada was pretty slow. About 4-6 weeks for delivery. They are the so-called far east "e-bay". Since my purchases arrived I didn't have to use Alibada dispute system. I would be more concern with the vendor I was dealing with vs. Alibada.

Wade

jttheclockman

I agree about the vendor. I have used them a few times and one time for a huge order of billiard balls. Never had a problem but the delivery was slower than normal but I expected that. They did all the shipping and connecting over here. I had some Chinese delivery system show up that I never heard of when I got the billiard balls but the guy helped me unload them in my garage so I could not complain. I did talk with the vendor many times to make sure we were talking the same things.

I also ordered a big lot of watch inserts that were the same as any company selling here but for over half the cost. It does pay sometimes for sure. Need to know what it is you are buying.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I had 20 - 55 degree dovetail cutters made up through Alibaba. It was ok. There were a couple of problems involving payment. I had to wire the money Western Union. Ok thats not sot bad, but I asked who to send it to since the contact name on all the emails was an English womans name and I was pretty sure that it was just made up for the benefit of Americans. Send it to the person on the email they said so I did.
What? thats not your real name? go figure.
So now I tell them that according to Western Union, I have to cancel the payment and there can be a 30 day wait for the money to clear, a 15 % charge back by Western Union and then I can re wire them the money.
They agree to that and just resend the money minus the 15% when it is released.
10 days later the dovetail cutters show up.
Meanwhile I find out since no one picked up the money I can just change the person who can pick it up, no extra charge. So I change the name to Mr. Lee. and send them a notice that they can pickup their money. Only they cant claim it on line. Mr Lee, a very very popular name in China evidently is flagged so they cant just whisk it into their bank. He (who ever Mr Lee is) had to go to the nearest Western Union and pick it up in person. I guess it was a long way away for them.

Any way. I got what I ordered and they eventually got paid. I actually had the pieces in hand before they got the money. Would I do it again Yes. Do I balance out how much risk Im taking and could be out my money, Yes.
Hope this helps.

TonyL

Thank you all. It seems to be one of those risk/reward things. I appreciate the feedback.

BCnabe

Same for me. I placed a small order of flap sanders about a year ago. Payment was easy but shipping took a few weeks.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Always worked for me and a few of my friends. Shipping time is long sometimes as others have said, but I always got what I ordered. Not for the impatient, but good for the wallet.

SteveG

I can add to the positive responses. The shipping was as advertised, typically a little slow, but OK. Very low prices are really the big plus, if you are willing to venture into this mode of shopping.

I have worked with a vendor on Alibaba and I was very satisfied.

I purchased a specialty recumbent trike for myself via Alibaba. The vendor I worked with was very friendly and even customized the trike for me (increased weight limit). It did take 3 weeks to get the trike and due to size it was unassembled and no instructions. I took it to a local bike store to have it assembled and after it was completed, they were surprised by the build quality. The bike store said that though my trike is heavier it still rode like the trikes costing more than I paid.

Curly

I had a great experience with them buying led lights for the shop and garage. !6 for the shop and 6 for the garage, 22 in all. After satisfying all my questions and providing the Canadian / USA UL documentation so my electrician can legally install them and giving me the shipping costs. I sent payment by credit card through the Alibaba Trade Assurance (free) which took a day or two to process, they started on the order. A week later Fedex had it and I was sent the tracking number. It took almost 2 weeks for Fedex to get it to me. So start to finish took 3 weeks. The lights came from Lonyung LED Lighting Co., Ltd. The model number LY-T5SL1500-40W. The lights were $17.35US each for a total of $381.70US and shipping was $168.00US for a total of $549.71US. Once the package was in Canada I got the bill for brokerage and tax of about $36.00Can. Great lights and 3 members of the local turning and woodworking clubs that I demonstrated one to are putting in a group order. Equvalent lights locally are 2 to 4 times more money. It's coming close to Chinese New Year so everything will basically shut down. I'd wait until that is over before ordering anything there.

Ironwood

Also try Aliexpress, usually better for smaller orders, I have used both, but pretty much all Aliexpress now.
If you have a dispute, they are very keen to resolve it, because if you leave them bad feedback, it can really affect their sales.

jttheclockman

Oh yea Pete brought up a good point about their new Year. Everything is put on hold. Been through that also. So if you do not like to wait then it may not be for you. :)

eharri446

I do not know if anyone has ordered pen kits from them, however, I ordered 1500 5mm pen box dowel pin hinges from them and other than minor issues with payment everything was okay.

jttheclockman

I do not know if anyone has ordered pen kits from them, however, I ordered 1500 5mm pen box dowel pin hinges from them and other than minor issues with payment everything was okay.

Is this the order where you asked if others would like to join??? What ever happened to that posting???

Curly

As a follow up to my light experience, :rolleyes: 3 or 4 guys from the woodworking and woodturning clubs here have banded together to put an order in for 42 of the same lights. Looks like the bigger order will save them a couple bucks a light on the shipping. Another couple guys will be doing the same at a later date for a couple dozen more. I should have become a distributor. :wink:

Top Bottom