Expensive pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Pawn Stars had four Mont Blanc pens with iridium nibs! Said iridium was more expensive than platinum. Appraiser had strong accent and I didn't hear a value. A couple looked like it had diamonds in the bands.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Iridium is an extremely rare metal. One of the rarest there is. It is also the second-densest metal outside of osmium, so it might indeed make for a pretty good scratch resistant plating... Its rarity would probably make any pens that contained any rather expensive.

darrin1200

To my knowledge, Iridium has never been used as a plating on the nib. It was used as a tipping material but, as I understand, due to its rarity it has been replaced by other materials.
The term "Iridium Point Germany" that we see on many nibs may be partially false, as they do not contain iridium. I did hear a rumor, that Dayacom purchased nibs from Jowo in Germany. But I don't have any confirmation.

Woodchipper

You know Pawn Stars is fake?
Pretty sure. This show was an "on the road" type show. I can't understand why people would take some things to a pawn shop. For some valuable or collectible things, I would contact Christie's for an auction. Same with the Pickers. I would hate to learn I sold something for practically nothing but they get big bucks for it.

darrin1200

Pawn Stars had four Mont Blanc pens with iridium nibs! Said iridium was more expensive than platinum. Appraiser had strong accent and I didn't hear a value. A couple looked like it had diamonds in the bands.
Do you know the episode number? I don't watch them often, but I would be interested in that episode.
Montblanc can easily go for $1k+

XanderPen

To my knowledge, Iridium has never been used as a plating on the nib. It was used as a tipping material but, as I understand, due to its rarity it has been replaced by other materials.
The term "Iridium Point Germany" that we see on many nibs may be partially false, as they do not contain iridium. I did hear a rumor, that Dayacom purchased nibs from Jowo in Germany. But I don't have any confirmation.
You can still obtain iridium welding rods; its basically the same price as 304ss stick. You would want to setup your stick welder for DC and flood with argon.

Top Bottom