Exothermal Tribal aluminium Gent.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Hmmm well how about a pretty lass without three eyes and a wart.? I have ordered my ferric acid and citric acid. now for vinyl stickers. Would a mask like fingernail polish work? or does the heat destroy it? I have some ferric acid but its so old it may not be worth it to use. Im not sure if it gets stronger or weaker with age.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Excellent Brad. Thank you for the tutorial.

You're welcome :cool:

Nice tutorial Brad, can you post your vinyl sticker contact or at least see if he will offer his services through Iap? Does the purity of the copper added make a difference? I have powdered copper. Are there any containers you should use to work and store in, any you should not? Would stainless work as a cruciable. Can you use a better looking chap for your tutorials.:biggrin:

Heres the chap i use for vinyl (Vernon)
eBay My World - bigvernblue

No doesnt matter too much about the copper. neither does the measurement as such. if you know anyone with a PCB etching tank pinch a litre out of their tank and your good to go. its a big no storing or working in a metal container (its corrosive lol) As long as its a plastic container which can withstand boiling fluid then it will work fine. Better looking chap than the sex symbol filing these? your just looking for a bit of posh tottie ar'nt you :biggrin:

...... Can you use a better looking chap for your tutorials.:biggrin:

He could, but I'm afraid I'm just too busy at the moment!!!:biggrin:
Sorry, your welsh :biggrin: disqualified

Hmmm well how about a pretty lass without three eyes and a wart.? I have ordered my ferric acid and citric acid. now for vinyl stickers. Would a mask like fingernail polish work? or does the heat destroy it? I have some ferric acid but its so old it may not be worth it to use. Im not sure if it gets stronger or weaker with age.

just give it a whirl ona scrap piece :) will either react or it wont

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Posh tottie? Im sorry Brad I dont speak Canadian. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ducks and runs for cover.

bluwolf

Nice tutorial Brad, can you post your vinyl sticker contact or at least see if he will offer his services through Iap? Does the purity of the copper added make a difference? I have powdered copper. Are there any containers you should use to work and store in, any you should not? Would stainless work as a cruciable. Can you use a better looking chap for your tutorials.:biggrin:

Hurry up Mike, I have projects I want done:biggrin:

Mike

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Brad, will the same ( or other relatively safe ) chemicals work on stainless?
I kind of also like the piece once it's etched and before you filled it with resin. I think it would give it a neat carved look.
I'm torn about whether to start on this adventurous new route or to build a 3 axis CNC mill this coming year.
I really like working with stainless and I'll probably decide which one will do more for me. ( cost will of course be a big factor )
Thanks again for showing us your alchemy. It's very much appreciated and like a breath of ( chemically noxious ) fresh air around here. :biggrin:

BradG

Brad, will the same ( or other relatively safe ) chemicals work on stainless?
I kind of also like the piece once it's etched and before you filled it with resin. I think it would give it a neat carved look.
I'm torn about whether to start on this adventurous new route or to build a 3 axis CNC mill this coming year.
I really like working with stainless and I'll probably decide which one will do more for me. ( cost will of course be a big factor )
Thanks again for showing us your alchemy. It's very much appreciated and like a breath of ( chemically noxious ) fresh air around here. :biggrin:

While i love CNC's. i cant help but think its cheating?.... great if you are doing it commercially... but when your hobby is crafting pens, why employ a robot to do it for you?... sure its a damn sight easier... but i like a little more involvement than programming the CNC

Yes we can do all this with stainless steel it just takes a little longer to etch thats all. theres also a couple of choices too, one of which uses ferric chloride, the other does not...

youve seen my professional etching tank, you would be better splashing £500-£700 on one of them instead of the big bucks associated with CNC. I still have those bits of stainless you sent me, lets drop one of those in my tank and we can see if that convinces you chems are the way forward for stainless :cool:

BradG

Here you go Steve, just for you.

2 ltr coke bottle with the top chpped off, neat 1ltr ferric chloride, no need to dilute for stainless. still add 100G of citric. also in this bottle i have a brewery immersion heater, and a fish tank air pump for agitation. stops all the heat sitting at the top of the solution and keeps smut off the piece. ive no idea how long this will take but ive masked a bit of stainless and put it in this state of the art DIY etch tank..... il let you know how it turns out :wink:

oo you may also notice the little blue piece on the airline by the T adapter.. thats a one way valve or an anti syphon device..... if the air pump is lower than the level of the solution it will syphon back when you switch it off... im sure you agree your air pump wont work very well next time iif its been flooded with a corrosive lol.

Attachments

• skip1.jpg
    skip1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Aaaargh!!! I hate you!!!! :mad::biggrin:

Whilst I really love pratting about with machines and mechanisms, your arrival on the scene really put a spanner in my works!! I was all ready to follow the CNC route purely because I like making stuff. Jeesh, I've got 'single use' jigs at home that are worth far more just in scrap value than I could ever get from the piece that was made from them, even if I sold pens!! I figured I'd SAVE money by building a CNC!!:rolleyes:

I hear what you say about cnc being a bit of a cheat, and I honestly used to think like that too. But really what's the difference? You spend hours and hours experimenting with chemicals and then even more trying to get a vinyl sticker (cnc'd :wink: ) to be precisely positioned on a machined piece of metal. Then the chemicals do their thing. You then apply more chemicals to fill the voids.

Now, if the stickers go exactly where you want them and the resin turns back down to give you a flawless result, why is that more 'crafty' than building a michine to do the same thing?
But same goes for the cnc route, doesn't it?

I don't know which method is more skillful, honestly I don't, but either method only requires the method to be perfected for the first one. Once you crack the chemicals or the cnc, both would have future known ( or at least 'expected' ) results.

Do you still get a buzz when you make a 'basic' coloured aluminium pen or divers rattle? I don't think so....that's why you are having so much fun at the moment. It's new and excites you. You won't make dozens and dozens of pens like this will you?
You are like me, once you've cracked it, you'll get bored and have to try something new. You get much more enjoyment from the question than you do from the answer!!!:wink::biggrin:

I just wish you hadn't said that etching stainless was possible!!!
How am I gonna tell my missus????

'Er, honey....you know those stepper motors I asked you for Christmas? Can you get me some acid and swipe some lead off the churches roof instead please??':rolleyes::biggrin:

BradG

Aaaargh!!! I hate you!!!! :mad::biggrin:

Whilst I really love pratting about with machines and mechanisms, your arrival on the scene really put a spanner in my works!! I was all ready to follow the CNC route purely because I like making stuff. Jeesh, I've got 'single use' jigs at home that are worth far more just in scrap value than I could ever get from the piece that was made from them, even if I sold pens!! I figured I'd SAVE money by building a CNC!!:rolleyes:

I hear what you say about cnc being a bit of a cheat, and I honestly used to think like that too. But really what's the difference? You spend hours and hours experimenting with chemicals and then even more trying to get a vinyl sticker (cnc'd :wink: ) to be precisely positioned on a machined piece of metal. Then the chemicals do their thing. You then apply more chemicals to fill the voids.

Now, if the stickers go exactly where you want them and the resin turns back down to give you a flawless result, why is that more 'crafty' than building a michine to do the same thing?
But same goes for the cnc route, doesn't it?

I don't know which method is more skillful, honestly I don't, but either method only requires the method to be perfected for the first one. Once you crack the chemicals or the cnc, both would have future known ( or at least 'expected' ) results.

Do you still get a buzz when you make a 'basic' coloured aluminium pen or divers rattle? I don't think so....that's why you are having so much fun at the moment. It's new and excites you. You won't make dozens and dozens of pens like this will you?
You are like me, once you've cracked it, you'll get bored and have to try something new. You get much more enjoyment from the question than you do from the answer!!!:wink::biggrin:

I just wish you hadn't said that etching stainless was possible!!!
How am I gonna tell my missus????

'Er, honey....you know those stepper motors I asked you for Christmas? Can you get me some acid and swipe some lead off the churches roof instead please??':rolleyes::biggrin:

:tongue: yea you pretty well hit the nail on the head, though i have programmed and operated CNC's and havent found it anywhere near as satisfying as etching a piece.. but each to their i guess :cool:

oh, and on that note.... look! etched stainless steel :biggrin: not bad for a coke bottle and a fish pump

Attachments

• stainless.jpg
    stainless.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
You know Brad, you aren't making this easy for me, you know!!! You weren't supposed to just come back in a couple of hours and say...'Look, easy peasy!!!' You were meant to say...after a week or so....' Er here are the results...can you make out the image???'

Dammit Janet!!! Frankenfurter's getting me going!!!:eek:

Thanks for your efforts with that bit of stainless Brad. I hate to say it but I'm kinda leaning in your direction now. :rolleyes::biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Brad, I just remembered something.... My youngest lad used to have several tropical fish tanks with heaters and pumps and stuff. I think they're in the attic. :biggrin:

Now, I just need some noxious chemicals.......:confused:

'Honey?.....You remember that soup you made a while back???.....':bulgy-eyes:

BradG

Hey all kidding aside id love to own a CNC just for the extra options it gives you.. that doesnt mean it would make etching obsolete... next on my list of toys is a vinyl cutter... have my eye on one but need to get xmas out the way before i come home with a new toy lol.

BradG

Hey Brad, I just remembered something.... My youngest lad used to have several tropical fish tanks with heaters and pumps and stuff. I think they're in the attic. :biggrin:

Now, I just need some noxious chemicals.......:confused:

'Honey?.....You remember that soup you made a while back???.....':bulgy-eyes:

lol in my household it would be my cooking which was the hazard....

Heres where i buy the ferric from
Seno PC145 Ferric Chloride Etchant 5L

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That stuff's a lot cheaper than I expected!!:eek:

I can't help you with the vinyl plotter/ cutter but I do have a couple of good vac pumps ( one Dilo and one RobinAir ) and a compressor (Dilo ) and pressure/vac pot, that's all growing cobwebs that I'd happily loan to you if you ever want to play with resins. Hell, you are also welcome to use my power supply unit if you ever need the 30A too.
I'm constantly all over UK ( in an hotel in Lincoln right now ) so dropping it off isn't an issue. Shout before you buy stuff.

BradG

Thanks il keep it in mind should an experiment ever need the use of a vacuum chamber :) Im in need of a bigger workshop... so i can get the bunson burners,elernmeyer flasks condensers botonic infusion chambers, thumpers and parrots on the go. not that i have any intention of distilling my own rum :biggrin: strictly academic purposes of course.Travel with work hey? You will either find me in south blackpool, or er.. north blackpool.. unless they send me to hong kong. then you'l find me being swamped by indians and phillipinos trying to sell me very good lucky lucky rolex, and the very best tailored suit. and if im not in any of those places,find a mountain in europe covered in snow and take a look towards the top for someone with a plank strapped to his feet jumping off the edge

BradG

Mike & Steve, you need to get your heads around this before i show you what you can do with Fertiliser :biggrin:

Sawdust46

You guys both do incredible work. I like the SS but will stick with the aluminum because I can turn it on my wood lathe. I'll get to that after I have completed a couple other projects. BradG, thanks for the demo.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Fertilizer, ammonia nitrate,potasium nitrate, sulfer, fuse what else do I need? Crushed charcol,oh wait this is a pen forum RIGHT?

BradG

lol wrong Recipe Mike ;) though you struck right with Ammonium nitrate, though we wont be buying it - we will be making it. though its not the ammonium nitrate we want, its the byproduct created in the process we can use with pens :biggrin:

You'l see.

Top Bottom