Exact Angle Cutting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dannyshoots

I like to do sectionals but with the tools I'm using so far, I'm just getting lucky with a blank once in a while. I have a standard Ryobi miter saw and find that thing makes me nervous to fire it up for small work like a 45 degree slice of something. So I paid a little over $20 for that little aluminum miter box and saw that Woodcraft sells. That thing may be good for something like cutting toothpicks, but don't even try an angle through a pen blank. It's worthless. I have a 9 inch band saw on my bench. For accurate and repeatable cuts, its worthless too. Who can steer me to something that will work? Is there maybe a smaller miter saw that is more suitable for this type of work?

Thanks!

Danny

Cutting Miters

Morning Danny,

I use a 10" sliding miter saw to cut the segments for pen blanks. For safety I install a plywood top and rear fence on the saw to give me a zero clearance slot for the saw blade and hold the pieces. I also use an auxiliary fence at the angle I want so I don't have to rely on the saws miter accuracy. Combined with a good thin kerf blade this works well.
A couple years ago I posted a tutorial on another forum which shows the set up I was using then. It might explain it better with the photos.

http://www.penturnersparadise.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=2577

The jig can be improved greatly with hold-downs for the blanks. If you don't feel comfortable with a miter saw please be very careful and keep them fingers away from that spinning blade.
Good luck.

Top Bottom