Ever seen anything like this before?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Okay, so I've been known to try different things from time to time and today I found myself cleaning out the garage and came across some old home burned CD's from like the late 90's I'm guessing. Couldn't have been too important sitting at the bottom of a box so I figured...why not :rolleyes: Glued a couple of them up, cut on a bandsaw, glued those up, drilled and turned. Since this was for fun and kind of like a test I didn't paint the tube or the inside of the blank and figured...lets see what happens and this was the result. Almost a pen so I'm told I can show it :biggrin:

6758056595_647a80bae3_z.jpg

Don't forget...it's not serious until you make it serious...have fun and turn what ever you can find. Who cares if things line up or look pretty...just have FUN :biggrin:

apple320

Okay, so I've been known to try different things from time to time and today I found myself cleaning out the garage and came across some old home burned CD's from like the late 90's I'm guessing. Couldn't have been too important sitting at the bottom of a box so I figured...why not :rolleyes: Glued a couple of them up, cut on a bandsaw, glued those up, drilled and turned. Since this was for fun and kind of like a test I didn't paint the tube or the inside of the blank and figured...lets see what happens and this was the result. Almost a pen so I'm told I can show it :biggrin:

6758056595_647a80bae3_z.jpg

Don't forget...it's not serious until you make it serious...have fun and turn what ever you can find. Who cares if things line up or look pretty...just have FUN :biggrin:

Looks cool

What kid of glue did you use on this?

wiset1

Tim, lol....Paternity leave has not been kind to your mind:eek:. Very creative..:biggrin:
Regards, Doc:)

Yeah Doc, I'm back to work next week so while I'm happy about that... I'll miss the family...AND the new metal lathe that was delivered today

Re-cycling at it's finest - very nice!

I don't know about finest :biggrin: This thing looks vintage at best. The idea is there so I'm sure it could be worked on and revised to look better. The new DVD disks have a purple base so that might reflect well...?

Thanks guys

wiset1

Looks cool

What kid of glue did you use on this?

Medium CA. It's what was close when I started cutting so I ran with it. Again...just a test, I'm sure people could advance the idea and do something much cooler. It does have a nice vintage look though

wiset1

Ever put a CD in the microwave and see the colors and cracking...? That might add a cool effect. Sadly, we got rid of our microwave a couple years ago...eating healthy

wiset1

I have a feeling, you're not finished with that just yet. :biggrin:

I'm anticipating a cool pen soon.:wink:

Well, the metal lathe arrived today with all the toys...Soooo, this might get pushed back to the idea box for later. I'm sure in that time someone else will make one and I'll just put it behind me :biggrin:

wiset1

Thanks guys...you never know how things will turn out when you test them. I guess that why teachers like to give pop quizes :biggrin:

wiset1

What you're seeing are tool marks from the blade on the band saw. The Eagle trick would be reserved for a highly prized segment pen. This was a quick 15 minute pen :)

wizard

Tim, lol....Paternity leave has not been kind to your mind:eek:. Very creative..:biggrin:
Regards, Doc:)

Yeah Doc, I'm back to work next week so while I'm happy about that... I'll miss the family...AND the new metal lathe that was delivered today

Tim, You have to at least put the lathe together. I have the MicroMark 7 X 14 mini lathe. I put it together and then started to learn how to use ...and things got busy....and....well....it's still there... for the past two years. :redface:.
I'm sure you will more productive with it than I've been. But you have inspired me to give it another try at it! Doc:)

Steve Busey

Very cool idea. I have a stack of old AOL CDs (remember when they showed up in the mail 3 times a week, and in the Sunday paper to boot?!) waiting for a project. This might be it!

Akula

May be worth digging out a couple of the old 78's :)

I've used cd's and even old records for spacers...records look nice but crack easy..plus too many better choices now (I did all that when I first started turning...grabbed anything around collecting dust to turn LOL)

wiset1

They do crack easy, but a CA fill on the final turn should fill cracks and smooth everything out while having a cool looking material that you've turned. Painting the tube or the inside of the blank could add a different effect as well.

RSidetrack

You were more successful than I was! I still have tons of little pieces from when I attempted this. I hit it with the gouge and the whole thing literally blew up. Reminds me why I wear eye protection, always :biggrin: Glad you made it work though, I was very curious on what it would look like.

Mike D

Thats a pretty cool idea! It remins me of the glass block walls you used to see in art deco structures.

What about old 45 records if there are any still around?

wiset1

I guess you could use just about anything. The whole point of this was to spark an interest for others to try something new with old trash I guess. Looks like it's working :biggrin:

wiset1

I wonder if I have some old 8 tracks laying around...:biggrin:

You joke, but what if you stacked the tape from the 8 tracks and poured thin CA, then cut and stack, cut and stack again till you have enough for a blank? Might work

wiset1

Could you use those old ribbons from the tape in castings to get that look or would it stick???

D.Oliver

I've gotta ask: Do you suppose if you reverse the lathe and hold the skew just right you might hear some satanic message (a la KISS records)? :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom