Ever heard of an Olo...?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redwd707

redwd707

...Me neither, but there's a picture of one on page 43 of the book Fountain Pens by Jonathan Steinberg. This is my interpretation of that pen. It's my 36th kitless pen, and my most complex as well, as I have never done a finial on the pen body before. "Astoria" chipped resin from Exoticblanks with black ebonite for the grip section, and body/cap finials. #5 m Bock nib, but I felt it needed a 2-tone nib, so I've got one on the way from Meisternibs.
There are a number of significant differences between this pen and the Olo I used for inspiration, but the point wasn't to copy that pen, just use it as a starting point. I'm very happy with where it went.
C&c more than welcome, and as always thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Astoriaolocappedforweb.jpg
    Astoriaolocappedforweb.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Astoriauncapped2forweb.jpg
    Astoriauncapped2forweb.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 280
  • Astoriauncappedforweb.jpg
    Astoriauncappedforweb.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 180
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

...Me neither, but there's a picture of one on page 43 of the book Fountain Pens by Jonathan Steinberg. This is my interpretation of that pen. It's my 36th kitless pen, and my most complex as well, as I have never done a finial on the pen body before. "Astoria" chipped resin from Exoticblanks with black ebonite for the grip section, and body/cap finials. #5 m Bock nib, but I felt it needed a 2-tone nib, so I've got one on the way from Meisternibs.
There are a number of significant differences between this pen and the Olo I used for inspiration, but the point wasn't to copy that pen, just use it as a starting point. I'm very happy with where it went.
C&c more than welcome, and as always thanks for looking!

Yes, I have heard of Olo. Olo is a subbranch of the Aurora Pen Company in Italty. I have not seen the photo of the original pen as you discribed it, but have seen vintage pens like it for sale on the internet. It would have been made out of celluloid around the 1930s 1940s. Olos were not marketed in the usual channels such as stationary shops, but rather were sold in tabacco shops. Aurora was still making pens in 2010, and may still be making them today. Execellent craftsmanship on your pen!! Looks like a vintage pen from the era. Jim S

Last edited:

redwd707

Thanks for the kind words and for the information as well. Aurora I have heard of, and it's good to know the backstory on that particular line.

SDB777

We're going to need to get you a light tent with a solid background for your photo's....this is better then the bamboo(think eye moment being a distraction with the lines). Once the background material just becomes the background(if that makes sense), then the pen steps on and no longer has anything to compete against.

All that said.....

The design element for this turning is exceptionally executed! You seem to have an ability to add just the right 'thing' to an interpretation, to not make it look as though you were doing nothing but copying another individuals work.
Material used = A+(I've always like these type blanks for kitless work)

Scott (keep them coming) B

Top Bottom