Epoxy question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have always used CA to glue tubes in. Once in a while the tubes break free on the lathe, but that's not a "biggie".

However, in August I will be doing outdoor demonstrating. I DON"T WANT my blanks misbehaving. So, I think epoxy is probably a better choice. Those of you that use this method, can you tell me which epoxy you prefer?

How long is the "open" time-if I am gluing up a production, how many should I have ready and how much epoxy do I mix at a time.

Any other info you think I should know would be appreciated-this is totally uncharted territory for me.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Epoxies are usually an overnight proposition in terms of being sufficiently cured for turning. There are a large number of 2-part epoxies which have had drying agents (typically heavy metals) that speed the drying (but not necessarily the cure-time). Most common in the large box stores are 90-minute, 30-minute, 15-minute and 5-minute. While this is suppose to be an indicator of setup time, I have found that these times should be reduced by about 50% when figuring setup time (How much do I prepare? As much as I can use in half the indicated setup time.). As for curing time before turning, I typically allow at least double and preferably 4X the advertised time. Set up and drying times are misleading when what we really need to know is the cure time (which is most often not stated).

I normally use poly glue for my blanks, but when I am in a hurry I will use K&R International's 5-minute epoxy. (It is available through the CA bulk buy program, but only in fairly small quantities.) I find I can glue up about four pens worth before the epoxy sets up.

One serious hint. The ratio of resin to hardener is critical when mixing epoxy. Take particular care in the preparation and you will greatly minimize problems down the line.

vick

Just my opinion but I have had trouble with epoxies (probably from bad mix ratio). I am a big poly fan, a little more of a pain to clean up but almost idiot proof. I f you want the least chance of error I would go with Poly.

alamocdc

Ed, with 5 min epoxy I can usually get the blanks for 4 pens glued up before the glue is no longer workable. 15 min epoxy should let you do about 8 - 10 pens. 30 min epoxy will let you do more accordingly. As far as amounts go, experimentation is your best bet. I've been using epoxy for over 25 years and have developed an eye for how much it takes to do a particular job. With 5 min, I usually wait about 30 min before turning and have had no problems. Sorry I can't be more help!

bgisi

I also use a two part 5 minute epoxy for all tube glue ups. I had similar problems with CA in the past but I have not had any issues since switching to the epoxy. I tend to mix only enough glue to complete a single set of tubes. I also lightly sand the tubes to improve the adhesion of the glue. I have been waiting about 30 minutes before turning the blanks on the lathe.

ilikewood

Ed, I use epoxy exclusively now after many trials with CA and Poly. I use the split tube 5 minute type (although that is just my choice) and do about 5 blanks per batch before it starts to set. The split tubes makes it very easy to get equal parts and then the mixing ratio is not a problem. After you get what you need, you just cap off the tubes...clean and easy and tough as nails. No tube movement on setting either.

It is very important to rough your tubes first with some 40-80 grit sandpaper. The tubes will never come loose after that.

One note: if you are sanding and the wood or other material gets hot, it may soften the epoxy. It will reset after it cools.

I thought I would add in like Brian...I wait at least 30 minutes too with the 5 minute epoxy to ensure a complete cure.

elody21

You can 5-min Devcon Epoxy at Sears for about $8.00 for a rather large amount! I always use epoxy for a good hold especially on plastis or corian.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Thanks guys!!

I will have this done two weeks in advance of turning the blanks so "cure time" is not an issue.

I was under what appears to be a misconception that a special epoxy was used. I use the 5 and 15 minute varieties in making kaleidoscopes-didn't know THAT was what penturners were using also.

Bill, I have always heard sand the tubes and have never done it-but I will for this job. Thanks for the reminder.

Fangar

Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Thanks guys!!

I will have this done two weeks in advance of turning the blanks so "cure time" is not an issue.

I was under what appears to be a misconception that a special epoxy was used. I use the 5 and 15 minute varieties in making kaleidoscopes-didn't know THAT was what penturners were using also.

<b>Bill, I have always heard sand the tubes and have never done it-but I will for this job</b>. Thanks for the reminder.

If you sand the tubes, and use a medium to thick CA (I like Hot Stuff Medium) you will not have any issues. I had some issues with some cheap CA that I bought one time where they would spin loose inside the blank. Not to direct you away from the expoxy though. Good luck!

James

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
If you use a wax plug in a tube and put glue in the blank and on the tube you shouldn't have any problems with blow outs due to Ca problems.
I have done glue ups recently and the only joints that failed were epoxxy joints.
I believe any joint will fail without proper glue coverage but I see no reason to change glues just because you are doing a demonstration.
Let the arrows fly.
BTW I always use the "wax" plug Ca method on my lams an have never had a problem with wood separation.
If you were to change to a different adhesive I would go with ROO glue, even with the mess. Other than than stick with thick CA.

swm6500

Ed, I have used Poly, thick CA and Epoxy and always sand the tubes. I have not had any come loose and spin. I have blown a blank or two due to insufficient glue coverage. If you will sand the tubes, I don't think you will have trouble with whichever glue you decide to use. I think that overall though I feel more secure with the epoxy. Remember, this is just my opinion.

epson

I always use polyurethane and sand the tubes well. I have never had a problem. I always spray a little distilled water with a bottle sprayer inside the pen blank.

low_48

I think the only way an epoxy will fail is if the fit of the tube is too tight. This will wipe off the epoxy as it slides in and there is not enough left to make the bond. If the tube is a little loose, so much the better. So if you get a little chatter in the drill, great! I do use CA when I use corn cobs, all others, 5 minute epoxy.

Rich

Skordog

I have always used epoxy as well. Tried CA and Gorrilla glue but didn't like either one. Granted I was using thin CA and not medium or thick.

HINT: the epoxy gets kinda messy. I have found that using a pair of latex gloves really saves your hands. And if you buy them by the box full they really aren't that expensive.

Also, for cleanup use vinegar. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom