Epoxy for casting???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soundman

It has been quite some time since I have been doing and pen turning... over 12 months... but anyway...I've been taking some time lately and have some very serious blanks that need ome stablisation.

I know that polyester resin is very opular for casting and stabalisation among other things.....But I have played with some marine epoxy and wonder if anybody has tried that for pens.

The thing that attracts me is the very low viscosity and low surface tension that make it soak so very far into timber, plus its long open time.

I am hoping that it will fill voids in some of the porous stuff that I have.

I do underdestand that west system has no UV inhibiters... but it does go realy hard and clear.

any thaughts.

cheers

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
A number of years ago I made several casts with system 3 epoxy with the clear and some with pigment. It works, but is a little softer than PR and will not develop as much gloss when polished. I don't think it is any less viscous than PR and certainly more expensive.

elody21

If I am not mistaken, I read an article that most Epoxy will yellow after a while and Bruce is correct, it will not polish to a gloss. Alice

Top Bottom