Epoxy as a finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

OK, a lot of finishing threads recently. Sorry.

But anyways, I was in Woodcraft, and they had a demo for System Three Clear Coat. They billed it as a penetrating epoxy sealer. They had it on some flame maple, and it looked amazing. So, I'm wondering if anyone's tried that and how it worked?

It's $30 for the kit, so I'm reticent to be the ginea pig at that cost.

Thanks!
Travis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Works great if you want to build up a "bar top" deep clear durable finish but I would think near impossible to use as a finish on a pen unless you wanted to spend a LOT of time with it.

BigguyZ

Yeah, this wasn't their bar-top finish though. It was something marketed as sealer for outdoor wood. Brushed on, not poured on...

I'm going to give CA another go, but I may be desperate enough to try this soon. :)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have used 5 minute epoxy for a finish on pens and vases with very good results. Not as much depth and gloss as CA but still a VERY durable finish. I basically apply it with the lathe spinning at medium speed and try to build a good, thick coat. I then wiat for the resin to begin to firm up. At just the right time, I use a cloth rag and burn in the epoxy like a friction finish.

I still prefer CA so that is what I do mostly now but the epoxy does work great with one coat.

alamocdc

The biggest problem I can forsee with this is that most epoxies tend to yellow. Some take longer than others, but none longer than the expected life of the pen. I tried it once and was not very happy. But that's me.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Billy,

Yes, Epoxies yellow but in a super thin layer as what is on a pen, I don't think it make a difference. I have a couple of pens that are nearly 4 years old that were finished with epoxy and I can't notice any yellowing.

Top Bottom