engraving question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Perl

OK, need a little help. I have recently had a few pens laser engraved with initials, logos etc. they turned out very good. But this time the wood I picked (crosscut maple) turned out a little darker than I was expecting once I finished it. i used 4 coats thin and 4 coats medium. My concern is that the engraving will not show up very well. My question is...is their a way to darken up the initial engraving to make it stand out more, or perhaps even change the color of the engraving??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Mike,

You can color fill the laser engraving with just about any color you want. Depending on who does the engraving for you, they may also be willing to color it. Otherwise it is pretty simple to do it yourself.

-Barry

I got fill material from a company called Laserbits.com. They have an online video showing how to do it. It's very simple. (rubbing alcohol is the key to wiping off the excess fill material.)

Jamie Fowler

I also do a lot of laser engraving, and I use Rub-n-Buff form Michaels. It fills in the engraving very well. I let it dry overnight (just for giggles and grins) and then put your CA finish or anything else over the top.
Just so you know, it depends on the type of wood that you are using on how dark the engraving comes out. Speed, and power are the driving factors during the engraving. If you use the rub n buff or use a mask then paint to the color you choose, the finish will work fine over anything you put as a design.

Top Bottom