Engraving question - opinions needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

I'm thinking about marketing a high end pen (Majestic / Statesman) made from M3 blanks and having a company name engraved on the cap of the pen. What do you think about the engraving idea? I'm wondering how it would make the pen look and feel. Would it feel strange in the hand with the engraving or cheapen the way it looks? I want to maintain the really high end look but be able to offer a way to personalize it. I don't imagine that the engraving would have to be very deep would it? But then again, I don't want it to be difficult to see. I would love to hear any opinions ya'll have!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

I don't have an answer to your questions. But to me....95% of the time, engraving a name on a pen cheapens it. I have seend some that looked very good, but the majority of the time it just doesn't look high end.

That's not to say it can't be done. Hopefully someone with expertise in engraving can answer your questions. Maybe if it was engraved and filled or something.

Andrew_K99

IMO it makes it looks like a cheap hand out pen not a one of a kind custom. Ultimately though the client may want their name on it so it may be a good offering.

AK

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The design of the engraving will make all the difference in the world. The size, the font, the content, the placement all affect the look of the pen.

witz1976

I would have a custom box engraved and leave the pen as is. The customer will still get their customization and you should be able to ask for more $$$.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

I agree with Dan. One other option would be to make a cabochon for the top cap with a company logo in it. That could be done by casting it. But I would highly recommend an engraved box over engraving the pen.

thewishman

I have had many customers request engraving, it adds to their appreciation of the item. Are you talking about engraving YOUR company name? That would be a completely different matter...

paintspill

i was wondering the same thing. i have had alot of request for engraving and thought myself that it cheapens the look. i had to find out for myself so i took one of my pens that had a small chip in it that i don't want to sell and had it done. i was right. it cheapens it. if i were you i would have one done just to show people what is available. keep in mind you don't even have to use a pen for this purpose. just turn some blanks and finish them the way you would and have them engraved. the company i am using even did mine for free because it was experimental (deer antler)

azamiryou

My opinion is that it cheapens it. If it's what the customer wants, then you have to decide which you value more: the customer's money or your artistic integrity. I know which one I'd choose! :biggrin:

brez

I'm thinking about marketing a high end pen (Majestic / Statesman) made from M3 blanks and having a company name engraved on the cap of the pen. What do you think about the engraving idea? I'm wondering how it would make the pen look and feel. Would it feel strange in the hand with the engraving or cheapen the way it looks? I want to maintain the really high end look but be able to offer a way to personalize it. I don't imagine that the engraving would have to be very deep would it? But then again, I don't want it to be difficult to see. I would love to hear any opinions ya'll have!!

First; M3 will be very difficult to engrave, or should I say difficult to see when engraved, unless color filled.

Second; Engraving a company name or logo will likely take away from a pen. Personalising a pen by engraving the recepients name or intials does not have to take away from the pen and can add a personal touch. It is important not to let the engraving overtake the look of the pen.

Mike

Top Bottom