Engraving on Wall Street/Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

propencity

Has anyone tried to engrave on the clip or finial for a wall street/sierra pen. I have a customer that wants a name engraved on the pen and barrel is a nice amboyna burl and I wouldn't recommend engraving on the wood itself. But how about on the clip ? Has anyone tried this and how did it turn out?

Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BKelley

I would not engrave any plated parts. For the engraving to look good it would have to be fairly deep, giving the plating a place to start peeling. Now that is for engraving, lasering is some thing I'm not familar with.

Ben

ashaw

You can but the big problem is what it will do to the rest of the plating. I have seen it done but the engraving just scratches the surface and over time it engraving just wears off. Any deeper you my effect the wear of the rest of the plating.

propencity

Ben and Alan, thanks for the input on the possible effect on the plating. Good to keep in mind. Don, I just thought the darker burl wood would not show the engraving well or taint the look of the burl wood. I'll inform the customer on the possibilities and let her decide which way to go.

Thanks

Sylvanite

When engraving a wood (or other blank) that doesn't show much contrast, I usually fill it with a contrasting color. For Amboyna burl, I suggest gold or silver fill, whichever matches the hardware plating.

I have laser-marked slimline clips before. It takes some experimentation to get the power settings right, and it's difficult to get the alignment just right (and on a clip, slightly off shows).

I hope that helps,
Eric

Top Bottom