Engraving on metal components?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

As anybody tried / had success engraving metal components? Not personally I mean but having it done.

Is the plating too thin on kits for engraving?

I'd imagine the solid stainless steel kits would be a good choice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ashaw

CO2 laser will not engrave metal. There is a coating most engravers use on the right metal, plating that will turn the engraving black. You can try the mechanical engraving, but your are right Dan you could go right through the plating.

thewishman

A customer has engraved several Cigar pen clips and likes the results. I told him I would not honor warranty on such engraved parts, but he has not reported any problems.

Crashmph

I have had several real bullet pens engraved with the impact engravers, and a few on the kit parts. I have not had any issues with plating failures on Rhodium, Chrome, and Titanium platings. I have had some issues with the cheap gold platings.

mrcook4570

I have used my laser to create a permanent mark on several different components (clips, finials, etc.). The stainless steel components work very well for this. I have also marked plain fountain pen nibs with the penmaker's logo.

Pen-Archer

I have used my laser to create a permanent mark on several different components (clips, finials, etc.). The stainless steel components work very well for this. I have also marked plain fountain pen nibs with the penmaker's logo.

Did you use a marking paint or a high wattage laser?

Joe S.

And was it a CO2 laser?

Top Bottom