Engraving Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Well, I am up to pen number 10, and my wife asked me if I could engrave her name in a pen. If her name was a series of fine circular scratches, I would say yes! Actually, thanks to all of your advice and personal demonstrations by local members, I have that under control and I am pleased with mu results. So what to you think? Is there a way to neatly engrave (write a name in cursive) on a acrylic pen?

Thanks as always.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rossvh

I have done quite a few acrylic pens with names engraved. I have a gentleman who does it for me at $5 a line and he has all the equipment and fonts necessary. I think you will find they look really nice - if you are careful about size and type of font (and the engraver knows what they are doing). :wink:

Attachments

• Engraved Pens - Cancer Ribbon.JPG
    Engraved Pens - Cancer Ribbon.JPG
    315.7 KB · Views: 261

Turned Around

There's a guy local to me who has a real nice laser engraver. So i use that when engraving acrylics. And depending on the color of the acrylic itself, i can leave it be or fill it in with either Testor's or a Rub-N-Buff type stuff.

TonyL

Wow...very nice! I was wondering if it was part of the hobby that we could do ourselves. Thank you.

TonyL

Thank you....so for $3,500, I can have my own laser engraver.....
I will give my wife a grand and ask her to do without the engraving LOL.

These are great links. Thank you!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
There are a couple high speed, hand held units that will allow you to engrave acrylic.

One I have, I bought long ago. It is air-powered and claims a rotation speed of 400,000 rpm. Just like using a pen.

Another is much slower (60,000 if I recollect correctly). This will also work, but is not as smooth.

Don't buy them, based on this information---go to a wood show and watch a demo, THEN decide if it will work for you. (I have used it fewer times than the number of fingers on one hand!!)

FWIW<
Ed

Mike Powell

I dont know it it will work or not, but what about the glass etcher from Hobby Lobby? Its air powered and is sort of like a small sand blaster, in the size of an air brush.

Like I said I dont know if it will work, just an idea...

low_48

I dont know it it will work or not, but what about the glass etcher from Hobby Lobby? Its air powered and is sort of like a small sand blaster, in the size of an air brush.

Like I said I dont know if it will work, just an idea...

It will only work if you have a vinyl, foam mask, or some kind of resist made for sandblasting through. There is no way to get a fine enough stream of abrasive to write with.

Mike Powell

What about using a Frisk-It stencil? I used to use it when I was Air Brushing, Im not sure if you could print on it or not, but then cut it out and stick it on?

jimofsanston

There are a couple high speed, hand held units that will allow you to engrave acrylic.

One I have, I bought long ago. It is air-powered and claims a rotation speed of 400,000 rpm. Just like using a pen.

Another is much slower (60,000 if I recollect correctly). This will also work, but is not as smooth.

Don't buy them, based on this information---go to a wood show and watch a demo, THEN decide if it will work for you. (I have used it fewer times than the number of fingers on one hand!!)

FWIW<
Ed

Picked up one from Harbor Frieght for about 20-30 dollars and it is air powered too. Works okay if i can keep my hand steady.:bulgy-eyes:

stonepecker

Frisk-it doesn't hold up to sand blasting.........DAMHIKT
I would look locally for someone with a lazer for the best lettering possible.
And at $5 per line...........that is damn cheap.

RickLong

$3500... Please tell me where you can get one for only $3500... Mine cost more than double this...

Engraving Acrylic and tru stone with color fill looks great IMO.

Good Luck!

Rick

TonyL

I have no clue

$3500... Please tell me where you can get one for only $3500... Mine cost more than double this...

Engraving Acrylic and tru stone with color fill looks great IMO.

Good Luck!

Rick

I just Googled a model number quickly. I have no idea what engraving equipment cost. 3,500 was enough for me to stop looking :).

Top Bottom