Emperor Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Texatdurango

I just saw a post from Roy where he showed a Jr Statesman made from snakewood back in April that didn't crack. I also made a pen from snakewood around the same time, at least before heading out on my summer trip back in June, and it too is holding up well.

Either me and Roy are just a couple of ole crackerjack pen makers who have found the secret to success OR... the snakewood cracking issue is overplayed a bit!

Several members have held and even written with this pen because as many who have met me know, this pen is carried with me everytime I leave the house. It, along with a Sierra click pen are my "daily users" so no special care is given to make sure it doesn't crack. Actually, the reason I started carrying it was to see if and when it would crack.

It went with me from Texas up to Idaho, Alberta, Washington, Oregon then down through California and back home through Arizona and New Mexico so has seen some drastic climate/humidity changes with no problems.

To those who haven't tried turning snakewood, it's a beautiful wood so don't fret over the cracking and get 'er done! :)

emperor413-640-size.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Yep if you haven't tried it your missing one of the if not the best looking woods around, George thats one great looking daily writer.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
LOL Skye

I made a Jr. Gent in snakewood, no cracking issues after 6 months, and
I keep forgetting to take it out of the car at night (-20 degrees can't be
all that GOOD for the wood...)

altaciii

George,
I have made many snakewood pens and am on the side of the those who believe that the cracking issue is a bit overrated. I made this one in March of 07 and sold it to collector that has purchased many pens from me. The pen is one of his favorites and has not experienced any cracking issues. I have always believed that this wood, along with amboyna burl, are the classiest woods for making collectable pens from Euros to the
midsize Jrs and especially the full size pens.

1_DSC02218.jpg

areaman

nice pen, hate to be the one to admit I have had snakewood crack. made the pen and it wasnt right away but about two weeks later it cracked. it wasnt finished with ca and maybe thats the reason. who knows?

bitshird

Beautiful pen George, I haven't tried snakewood yet, I'm hoping that the cracking issue is over blown and mostly urban legend I'd like to try it on a Jr Statesman.

Randy_

Asked this of the other guys and now it's your turn.

1. Did you do anything special during the crafting process to minimize cracking?

2. What kind of glue do you use?

3. What finish did you use?

4. Did you make up these blanks as soon as you got them or have they been sitting around for a while to dry out and acclimate to the local environment?

Thanks.

Texatdurango

Answers below in blue.

Asked this of the other guys and now it's your turn.

1. Did you do anything special during the crafting process to minimize cracking? I think the key might have been the drilling. I took my time drilling the blank. I drill on the lathe so the blank was on my other lathe most of the day. I would slowly drill about 3/16" deep then stop, back the bit out and let it sit for half an hour or so then repeat the process. At no time did the bit or blank ever increase in temperature more than a degree or two but definately not hot or even warm to the touch. I also carefully watched the heat when buffing the finish.

2. What kind of glue do you use? I use E-Z Bond 30 minute epoxy

3. What finish did you use? CA finish. I always seal the ends with CA also before assemblying the pen.

4. Did you make up these blanks as soon as you got them or have they been sitting around for a while to dry out and acclimate to the local environment? If memory serves I made the pen just a few days or possibly a week after getting the blank so no time to acclimate to the shop at all.

Thanks.

Top Bottom