Emperor Drill Bit Recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I have run into a few erroneous pieces of data submitted for the Pen Reference Chart......sometimes due to typos and sometimes due to measuring the wrong tube.....so I have put together a little chart to QC the data. It shows recommended drill bit sizes for specific tube diameters.

I don't have a lot of data points yet; but from what I do have, it seems most of the kits are calling for drill bits that are no more than 0.01" larger than the tube dia. with the tightest being only 0.006" larger. One big exception to that finding is the lower tube of the Emperor. The recommended drill bit is 0.19" larger than the lower tube diameter.....nearly twice the average overage for other pens.

I'm wondering if those of you who craft this particular kit find the fit to be excessively loose? And if so, have you tried/do you use a smaller drill bit? The recommended bit is 15/32" and the next smallest size is 29/64". The 29/64" bit would be only 2 or 3 thousandths larger than the tube and might be quite snug.

I haven't done an Emperor and would like to hear the comments of some who have. Thanks.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I JUST made one of those for a last minute Christmas gift. I found the 15/32 to be just about perfect. Of course, I seal the inside of all of my blanks with thin CA before inserting the tube, so that may have a small effect on my results.

jjenk02

I just drilled one this afternoon and noticed that the hole was significantly larger than the tube. The only glue I can think of that might fill the gap is Gorrilla (sp?) Glue. I may try drilling another blank with a 29/64 bit and see how that fits. I'll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom