Eliminator Bushings for CA finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

I just started my first CA finish, and ordered the Eliminator Delrin bushings from Johnnycnc. I have not finised the blank yet -- a spalted pecan blank that is like turning balsa wood! But I have applied numerous coats of CA, and no sticking yet.

I am mandrel turning pens, so I was concerend about the CA sticking to the steel bushings. These are great! Here is a link, if you have not seen them.

http://penturnersproducts.com/index...id=136&zenid=f545dd070798eef14507f3509241a926

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This is the only time I ever use a mandrel!
attachment.php

I have 2 sets. When the first set gets encrusted with CA (and it will), while it's sitting in Acetone, the 2nd set gets used!

Attachments

• My only use for a mandrel (Small).jpg
    My only use for a mandrel (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 762

LeeR

Good idea -- having a 2nd set. I do the same treatment with the tiny add-on tips for CA bottles. I pull them off after using and throw in a small jar of acetone.

Rangertrek

You can also order Delrin rod from Johnnie and make your own bushings.
And, you can clean those bushigs without soaking them, just put them on the lathe and touch them with a skew in scraper fashion and the "crust" will pop off.

Garry Hirsch

Mack I'm confused, how do you turn down the blank to the correct size ie 7mm for a slimline pen with these bushings when they are cone shaped and is that a metal bushing i see next to the delrin one in the middle between the blanks? What's it for? Sorry for being so ignorant but I'm brand new to turning

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Mack I'm confused, how do you turn down the blank to the correct size ie 7mm for a slimline pen with these bushings when they are cone shaped and
is that a metal bushing i see next to the delrin one in the middle between the blanks?
Hi Garry; Not a bushing! That style of pen requires a tenon to be turned on the upper blank. What you are looking at is the tube of the pen protruding.
What's it for?
The tube is protruding to allow the centre band to be pressed on it.
Sorry for being so ignorant but I'm brand new to turning
Gerry, there is ignorance, and there is ignorance. One comes from not knowing, the other comes from rudeness! Yours came from not knowing. That's why we come here; to become unignorant!:laugh::smile-big:if in fact there is such a word! I'm more than happy to help.

Top Bottom