Elegant american help needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rmartin

I purchased 24 Titanium gold Elegant American kits and 24 BOW blanks. I'm having problems with the twist mechanism. It's seems too tight. I've put about six of them together and only one has a smooth operation. I know the inside of the tubes are clean; I hone them out and the parts press together easily, almost by hand, had to add a drop of CA to seat a couple. I did a search on this kit, which came up with centerband issues, but really nothing about trouble I'm having.

Any insights on this kit?

I don't think I'll buy any more of these, which is a shame because I really like the look. I was going to use it as a medium pen style for a man or woman.

What would you suggest as an alternative?

Can the dozen or so of the beautiful Bethlehem Olive Wood blanks which I have turned and finished be converted to work in another kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I think this kit is similar in operation to the americana kits. The mechanism does not work by friction but is driven by the finial piece which engages into the top of the mechanism. The kit is very sensitive to the ID of the brass tube. The transmission mechanism must pass through the upper tube without any restriction what so ever. If the mechanism will not pass through, the upper tube must be opened enough for the mechanism to pass through. The most common things that will cause this binding has been (for me and others) (1) any amount of glue anywhere inside the tube , (2) a tube that has been slightly crushed anywhere along its length during turning (it doesn't take much), or (3) a crushing of the end of the tube where the CB presses on. I do hope this helps to get the kits working for you. The finished length of the two barrels is also critical for these kits.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Besides all of the things that Don listed, there is one more problem that he missed.

IF the upper tube is a bit too short it will go down over the metal end on the lower barrel, and the joint between the wood and metal will be inside of the centerband. This isn't always a problem, but......... IF the wood is slightly larger than the metal, it can bind against the end of the upper tube. It doesn't take very much interference here to cause a pen that is hard to twist, even though everything else inside of the tube is fine.

Rmartin

Thanks Russ and Don. I hone out the inside of the brass using a gun cleaning kit, so I don't think that's the problem. It sounds like I need to check the tube lenghts at the center band. There may be some binding of wood or metal there. I just received some streamlines from Berea this week. I'm hoping I'll like those as a replacement for the Elegant American in my gallery.

Rmartin

Sorry for bringing this back, but I figured it might help someone in future searches.

I messed around with with my olive wood blanks and Elegant American kits today, and I think I found my problem. I believe it is something simular to what Russ was saying. My blanks are slightly longer than the brass clip stud and twist mechanism. If I press the twist mechanism just slightly past the bottom of the upper barrel, the wood no longer binds with the center ring. The danger is screwing the final and clip on too tight which pulls the mechanism back up into the barrel. A little glue will hold it in place, or...

I found if I measure the twist mechanism and the brass clip stud after pressing them together, and then barrel trim my upper blank slightly shorter, I get a perfect double twist every time. Which is nice.

I really love the size and style of this pen, but the center ring could use an overhaul. Edges are too sharp. I just got some of the Streamline kits. Basically they are a slimline with a larger center band, but put side by side they are about the same size as the Perfect American. For now, I think I'm going to go with the Streamline as my medium sized pen kit.

Jerryconn

I have some of these kits and don't make them much because of how sensitive they are to the length of the upper barrel and the CB issue. I think I read here of someone PC'ing the center banc because of the sharp edge. It seems to me the whole problem with length could be fixed by changing the assembly procedure. Instead of pressing the tranny onto the finial stud then inserting the whole assenbly into the upper barrel; press the stud into the upper barrel then press the tranny into the other end, it would always be the correct length, or at least it would seem to so.

Rmartin

You know, I thought about that, but I'm afraid to leave the brass clip stud and twist mechanism not fully pressed together. I think, overtime, they would find a way to get pressed fully and then you've got problems, or the person who you sold the pen to has problems.

Rmartin

Jerryconn

I could be wrong but I would think that, if the blank is trimmed to the length of the tube, we are only talking about a few thousandths difference, I'm not sure it would be enough to hurt. Now my curiosity is up, I may put one together that way and carry it for a few months to see.

Rmartin

Maybe I got a bad batch. The tube lenght is nearly an eight of an inch longer than the clip stud and twist when pressed together. Anyway, just something to consider when putting these kits together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom