Electrically Isolated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalper

I've seen the amazing work done with antique phenolic resins so thought I'd try some of the contemporary stuff. It's actually shinier than it looks in the pictures. The underlying texture seems to absorb the specular highlights.

This is off-the-shelf Bakelite. Don't know what the fabric wrapping is made of, but HSS tools won't cut it. Had to use carbide. It's probably asbestos or something very abrasive. Wear a mask!

Attachments

• bakelite-olympian1.jpg
    bakelite-olympian1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 257
  • bakelite-olympian2.jpg
    bakelite-olympian2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joek30296

That looks a lot like the stuff we used in the aircraft industry. We called it "Micarta" but you're right, it's a phenolic. We stocked it from 1/16" thick all the way up to 1 1/8". Try cutting some of the thick stuff on a 10" table saw. Stinks like crazy. We used to accuse the manufacturer of making it out of used baby diapers, LOL.

I made some putty knife handles out of some about 30 years ago and they're still going strong. We made Boeing 727 step tread guides by the hundreds and put them in stock. I think Boeing charged like $10 each for them and we made them for pennies each.

Curly

Traditionally Micarta is made with cotton and I've only seen it in the brown you have. As stated aircraft had and still have lots of it for points of wear like control cable fair leads and the pulleys themselves. Your pen will last a long time. ;)

lwalper

As I've looked around it seems they use linen, cotton, nylon, or fiberglass for the fiber. Yeah, it does smell like the phenol as it heats a little. Don't know why its so abrasive - the HSS tools would only make one pass before being so dull they wouldn't cut.

Top Bottom