El Grande vs Ligero

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Here are two pen kits that are basically the same but with different looking accents. A customer of mine wanted a nice wooden pen with a straight barrel body. This was a bit of a challenge for me as most of my pen bodies have some curve to them. I chose the Ligero and the El Grande to present to him for his choice.

This is the Ligero from CSUSA. I have been making this pen for a few years, the wood on this one is an Afzilia .
IMG_8012.jpg

I liked the wood blend of heart and light wood, this is highly figured
IMG_8011.jpg

This is the El Grande, I bought it at Lee Valley. The body is a heart wood/sap wood amboyna burl.

IMG_8017.jpg

This wood was very dense and easily chipped out…a sharp and often honed skew came to my aid on this one.[:0]

IMG_8024.jpg

I am not sure I like the look of the accent on the El Grande as much as I like the Ligero, my customer will make that choice.;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

You could also show him the El Grande Elite which again is the same base pen but with fancy accents. The Ligero is heavier by an ounce I believe, so it may depend on what feels good in his hand. Both are excellent examples, btw. [:)]

gerryr

They are both very well done, Jim, but I bet he picks the El Grande because of wood. I haven't made either of these, but have made several El Grande Streamlines and like them.

Thank You all for your kind words and thoughts.

I thought posting the two would be an interesting topic...some of us pen addicted turners know the imbalance we all face at the lathe[;)]

Anyway, the customer chose the amboyna burl...he was very excited about it too....we put a fountain pen tip on it and it was what made him happy.[:D]

The blank was a stabilized ambonia from Arizona Silhouette.[:)]

Again thank you all for your kind support!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom